Maria's Reviews > Mistwood

2071484
Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: owned-books
Read from January 17 to 20, 2012

The Shifter is a being that protects the kings of Samorna. An immortal with the ability to shift from human to mist to wolf to any other creature. The idea of the shifter really fascinated me and was one of may favorite aspects of the book.

Through the book Isabel struggles between being the Shifter and what it means to be human. She keeps telling herself that she is the legend, that she is the Shifter unclouded by emotions. But later on she wonders if being human is what she truly wants. That eternal conflict with herself and the puzzles of her past as they slowly come together was what made Mistwood such an enjoyable read.

The beginning chapter was a tad bit confusing although to be fair Isabel's mind was a jumble of thoughts and she had no idea what was going on or even who she was. But gradually we start learning about Isabel and her past. I loved how the plot unfolded and there was so many shock factors that I didn't see coming. Although the book was set in a fantasy world, the plot all happened within the castle. I really enjoyed the politics, the secrets and court games as one character tried undermine another. The plot just threw me in so many different directions.

My favorite character had to be Clarisse, Rokan's older sister, although perhaps not the best role model - I loved how the author fleshed her out. Although her attitude at times annoyed me I was still fascinated with her character and in the end I realized that's what a good character is able to do - to raise many emotions from you.

I've been wanting to read this book for quite a while and now that I have I'm glad it turned out to be such a great story! Although it doesn't add anything new to the fantasy genre, Mistwood had an unforgettable plot, full of secrets, assassination attempts, battles for the throne and the Shifter who's the thrust in the middle of all of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistwood.