Sam's Reviews > Heat Wave

Heat Wave by Richard Castle

M 50x66
Jan 12, 12

bookshelves: own, mystery, fiction, richard-castle-series, crime
Read in December, 2011

I am a huge fan of the Castle television series and was very much looking forward to reading this book when it was published. I went out and bought the book within a week or two of its release, came home and set it next to the bed. There is sat for over two years, while I liked the idea of reading Heat Wave, I never actually sat down and read it for some reason. Finding the book under a pile of other book next to the bed I finally read it. While overall I enjoyed Heat Wave there were many little nagging things that really bothered me too.

I know this is a review of the book and not the show, but thanks to the book’s circumstance, one cannot help but bring some bias from the show into the experience of reading the book. In many ways this book reads like the novelization of a rejected script idea for the show and not like the type of story we have been lead to believe Richard Castle would write. From the very beginning of the book when we first meet Nikki Heat and learn she has been saddled with a reporter named Jameson Rook on a ride along, the plot is indistinguishable from an episode of the show. There are also two other detectives working the case with Nikki and Rook that mirror the characters from the show. I realize authors tend to use people they may know as inspiration for their fictional work, but if you know this character the book reads like a memoir of one case he worked with Kate not a work of fiction at all. Other than their names there is really nothing unique or different about these characters from the ones on the show.

Once I came to terms with the fact that I was reading an episode of the show I started to enjoy the story. There are flaws in the story but overall it’s not bad. The thing I liked least about the story was toward the end Nikki had solved the case and was taunting Rook for not having figuring it out yet. The thing is that while it may come off as cute interplay between the characters, it also feels like the author taunting the reader for not having figured it out. Except it is not possible for the reader to have figured it out with the information given to that point. Were Sherlock Holmes a real person, he would not have been able figure this out with the information given the reader. Taunting your audience on top of not giving them a fair chance to figure it out was not necessary in the least.

In conclusion I would say that if you’re a fan of the show, Heat Wave is worth checking out, sort of, I guess. This book will never be mistaken for a great mystery however, that is for sure. It’s kind of mindless entertainment and not much more.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heat Wave.