Beth Rea's Reviews > Graveyard Games

Graveyard Games by Sheri Leigh

F 50x66
Feb 02, 12

Read from January 12 to February 02, 2012

This book took a long time to get to its inevitable end. It wasn't bad, but it also didn't shine in any particular way. There were a lot of plodding conversations, and while this book falls into the horror/supernatural genre, it's mostly about grief and grieving.

There was finally, a little bit of action towards the end, but it was almost as if it was a rush-job. The author spent a lot of time, as I said, creating characters more through conversation than any other literary tool. Most annoying was Sam, who stuttered terribly, which is carried through in conversations. I know I've read books where other characters stuttered, and I know she was trying to convey his issues and his social ostracism because of it, but mostly, it was just disturbing. I found myself skimming through the conversationsational bits (between all characters)because they could just be tedious and predictable.

This was one of my first indie-published reads and it was terribly formatted and edited. I'm not sure if the conversational formatting was intentional or just bad, but the indents were weird and inconsistent throughout the book. Editing was poor in terms of spelling, punctuation, missing/added words, etc.

The story itself possessed some good, interesting bits, but the author seemed to lose the threads. For instance, there is some hint that the town authorities "know" what's really behind the killings in the beginning of the story, how it's an election year and that could be the reason for the cover-up, but by the end, that story-line is completely dropped for the predictable outcome. What was, I think, intended to be a mystery, is so completely not a mystery. Almost as if Sheri Leigh decided to change genres in mid-write, not successfully, unfortunately.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graveyard Games.

Jenny Perfect review!