Rach's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Feb 20, 12

bookshelves: challenge-11-winter, 2012, made-me-cry, goodreads-choice-finalists
Read on February 20, 2012

Heartbreaking, real, and painfully honest. There are few things that are more sad than kids with cancer. John Green manages to tell the story of two "star crossed lovers" that are destined to have unfair lives with subtle humor and stark truth. Augustus and Hazel are not perfect, and they'll be the first to tell that of you. They are rightfully angry at what they are left with of this life, and do what they can to live as happily as possible. They are not the "strong, brave fighters" that everyone wants to see them as, but do the best they can, and they love each other, despite the fact that they know they'd be better off not to hurt each other in that eventual way. They are smart, articulate teenagers, more so than most, and perhaps that is because they grew up a long time before, and had more time to themselves, to sit and read and think, to decide who they wanted to be. When the most basic things of life have been striped away from them, in the end, all they had left in their power to decide was who they would be while they lived, and who they would love and leave behind.

Yes, this book is unbelievable sad. Yes, I cried pretty much the whole second half of the book. But it was worth reading, and I'd hope you'd give it a read, too.