Tiffany's Reviews > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

Jan 12, 2012

bookshelves: morethanonce
Read in January, 2012

It has been a very long-time since I have completely felt myself entirely sympathetic and empathetic, feeling alongside characters in a novel. My favorite genre being realistic fiction, this book sets THE standard for how to craft a modern, contemporary novel that doesn't lose character development and plot pacing. Even though the reader feels for Oskar, they are aware that this little boy is suffering some from mental health disorders caused by his loss. However, seeing his growth throughout the book, woven with the growth and grievance of those in his life, it is his friendships that make NYC seem like a small town.

In the end, I cried, and cried, and cried. I didn't think an author, or anyone, would be able to put into words what it feels like to lose someone. Foer without explicitly talking about grief, paints the complicated picture of the exact feeling one has when they have lost someone close. It's sad, but magical.

I will be reading this again.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.