Edward's Reviews > Absolutely Positively Not

Absolutely Positively Not by David LaRochelle

Jan 12, 12

I don't often impulse buy at bookstores (I tend to browse libraries), but I came across this book, opened it, and started reading, and I couldn't stop, so I figured I might as well buy it. Turned out to be an excellent idea. This story comes with natural and engaging characters and a plot that is sometimes hilarious and sometimes a bit painful, but always subtle, and it feels *just* removed enough to feel like a fun, engaging read, rather than something that's super realistic and heavy (those books have their place, too, this just isn't one of them). David LaRochelle also nails the Midwest without making it a two-dimensional stereotype - even the slightly more stereotypical characters have another side to them.

It's not the deepest look at what it means to come out in a high school in the Midwest, but it's a lot of fun - funny and heartfelt - and definitely a book that I will continue to pick up from time to time, when a need something a little humorously off-kilter that wraps up in a satisfying, but very natural way.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Absolutely Positively Not.