Andy Lee's Reviews > Girl, Stolen

Girl, Stolen by April Henry

Jan 17, 2012

bookshelves: young-fiction
Read from January 10 to 12, 2012

The premise of the book drew me in--a girl is accidentally kidnapped when the car she is sleeping is stolen. Then she ends up a being a hostage held for ransom, once the kidnappers realize she is from a well to do family. The kicker of the whole story is that the heroine of the story is--blind.

You can imagine what it would be like to be kidnapped and held hostage, fear for your life, and even worse, but this book brings all those raw emotions that come with such an ordeal and grabs you with each chapter.

The book did an artful job of keeping me hooked, there were times when I was really anxious and flat out frightened for Cheyenne, to see what will happen with all the twists and turns.

This will be a book that I remember for a long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl, Stolen.

Comments <span class="mediumText">(showing 1-3)</span>

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by April (new)

April Henry I'm glad you liked it. It was really interesting to do the research into what it's like to be blind. I read a lot of autobiographies, interviewed blind people, talked to an eye doctor, and even spent a day at a Guide Dog School for the Blind.

I love twists and am sometimes afraid I've used them all up, but luckily I've been able to think of more.

April

Andy Lee Nice to hear from an author such as yourself. I teach reading to struggling high school students and I've been sharing about your book as I've been reading during SSR. It seems like kids aren't really into reading classics or Newberry Award winning books and the like, because they can't relate. Most of those books seem to be about horses, living in a rural community, or something they have no connection to. My students seem to enjoy reading about human drama as they have plenty of it in their lives. I'd like to read more or of your books, have you considered featuring one at the Kindle store on Amazon? Thanks for the good, hope you keep up the good words.

message 1: by April (new)

April Henry "Reading during SSR" - what does that mean?

Walter Dean Meyer would probably appeal to them, too. Did you see that snotty commentary a teacher wrote saying that kids should be reading Homer instead of Meyer?

All my YAs as ebooks are controlled by my publishers. I have put some of my otherwise out of print books out as ebooks myself. What do you mean by feature at the Kindle store?

I'll have a new thriller out in April, called The Night She Disappeared.

Oh, and maybe your kids would also like Caroline Cooney? I've also liked books by Walter Sorrells. And Ashes by Ilsa Bick is a great page turner (although longer than my books).