Eastofoz's Reviews > Lover Enshrined

Lover Enshrined by J.R. Ward

May 31, 09

bookshelves: paranormal

** spoiler alert ** I didn’t particularly like this installment of the BDB. Ward still writes well but plot wise I felt that she was all over the place. Phury’s story, that was supposed to be the main story, meandered throughout the novel. I didn’t like him and I didn’t think that his sudden love for Cormia was in the least bit believable. He was boring and tedious. Even their love scenes were blah and Ward has always written phenomenal ones for her lead characters.

The other brothers were also stale. Lots of excessive over the top language for no reason especially from Wrath which just didn’t fit.

The only part that kept me reading was the sub plot with John, Blay and Qhuinn. I like these three but the scene with Blay and Qhuinn was a bit too reminiscent of Butch and V. It worked and all but it wasn’t fresh. Tohr’s return, Rehv’s story, Lash’s turning, Xhex now wanting John, this Lassiter guy showing up, the Chosen being allowed to choose the kind of life they want and Mr D’s staying power as a forelesser was all just too much and all over the place. There were too many mini stories to do justice to one. It was as if she ran out of ideas in this book or didn’t try and just threw in a lot of stuff or repeated a lot to fill in pages especially with Z and Bella and Phury loving Bella from a distance—get on with it and get over it. Talking about Bella’s pregnancy seemed like the most glaring filler because you know she has the baby back in book 3 and everything is fine so why bother continuing the storyline?

Granted there wasn’t the great romance/emotion or earth shattering sex like in the other books and that’s a shame, but what really bothered me was that she seemed to plunk down a bunch of stuff on the page without tightening up her stories in order to sell another book in the series so I felt gypped. If this were a stand alone I wonder if there would have been as much interest in it.

A disappointing read overall :( 2.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Enshrined.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Auntee I agree East. Too many different plots going on, and not enough time spent on Phury and Cormia's romance. Although I'm definitely interested in John, Blay and Qhuinn, and will likely read their stories. :)

Kathrynn You hit it right on the head, East. Too much and disappointing. Amen.

Hi Auntee! Just finished On Danger's Edge...lol

Auntee Yea! I'm waiting for the review! :)

Christel Could not agree more with ya Ladies!!

message 5: by Daisiemae (new) - added it

Daisiemae Well...crap. I keep putting off this book. So many of y'all didn't like it, so I am not really anxious to read it...I am so afraid I will be disappointed...dang

Eastofoz Daisiemae, Julie (JJ) really liked it. None of this stuff seemed to bug her so maybe you'll like it. I hate when you're just dying to read a book and it gets bad reviews everywhere so you're not to sure if you still want to read it or not. Let us know what you think if you do decide to give it a go :)

Heather Maybe just give it a shot... I didnt like it nearly as much as the other novels in this series, but it does talk a lot about other characters (like John, and Rehvenge) so if your interested in them at all you might want to try it! ;-) Let us know what you decide! :-)

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen I agree that I did not like it as much as the other stories. However, Ward really is an excellent writer and can weave a good story. You should just know going into it that the book is not going to be like Wrath/Beth or Butch/Marissa.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura East, I'm not a fan of Ward's new multi-plot thing either. Know how I read this one? I talked about it in my review. I only read the parts with Z. and Phury and Cormia. When you do it that way it is a wonderful love story, although it is only 10% of the book. But still makes a nice novella.

xoxo
Laura Stamps
Author of Erotica and Paranormal Romance Novels
http://www.LauraStamps.blogspot.com (excerpts from all of my novels)
http://laura-stamps8.livejournal.com (my naughty Author Blog/updated daily)

Eastofoz LOL Laura! I skipped a lot of Phury/Cormia stuff because it just got so boring. This was her worst for me :(

new_user In the next installment, she also has a variety of plots going on, but I felt she devoted herself fully to all of them, whereas this one was put together more haphazardly. The romance in the next one is developed more and the heroine much more (she's much stronger than Cormia). JM's story is also developed more.

I just hated the Wizard though, didn't you?

Eastofoz I agree that the multiple story lines were better handled in Lover Avenged as well as the romance but there were still too many to really enjoy them (for me anyway)and understand where she was going. Cormia was a non-entity here and one of the worst characters I've ever read. Elhena is much more like Beth and Mary who were likeable at least. And yes the Wizard was soooo irritating!!! (lol!)

message 13: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy Sanders Yes, you said it better than I did!

Eastofoz Amy this was the suck all read of the series IMO --hope she doesn't write another one like that :-/

Angelee R Have you guys read Revh's story? Because I'm kinda eh on starting it because Phury's story just made me "eh". It needed more of Cormia and Phury's POV, not everyone else's.

Eastofoz Revh's story is pretty good --waaaay better than Phury's crappy story I thought.

Angie Swartz Agree! Disappointing book and lots of spelling errors. Really?

Eastofoz Angie wrote: "Agree! Disappointing book and lots of spelling errors. Really?"

What a dud eh :-/ I don't remember spelling errors because it was just so astonishingly bad story-wise (!)