Judy's Reviews > The Bronze Bow

The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare

Nov 25, 13

Read on November 22, 2013

I recently mentioned to a Goodreads friend that sometimes books I am reading seem to relate to one another without my choosing? Our book club read "The Hiding Place" this month, which I re-read. Then I picked up a book I've had on my list--"Sarah." It is about Abraham's wife and their belief that God is leading them and speaks to them. So both have a religious theme. Then recently I read "The Bronze Bow," which is about a Jewish boy living in Palestine during the Roman occupation. Different eras, but all about people relating to God. Does anyone else ever find this happening. The Bronze Bow is written by a Newbury award author, and as such is very readable. It is about a young boy who had dedicated his life to working for the overthrow of the Romans. The Jewish people are waiting someone that will lead them in what they believe will be a military victory. Daniel is part of a band, whose leader he believes might be the one. Through circumstances, he has to return to his home in the village. His desire continues to thwart the Romans and several times it becomes dangerous. He is then introduced to Jesus of Nazareth, and starts to question whether he has been wrong. I was frankly surprised that a book that is historically set, but has religion as the undercurrent would be recognized. I'm not sure how popular it will be with many of today's youths, but the author might ensure its place on a library shelf!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bronze Bow.

11/22/2013 marked as: currently-reading