Margaret's Reviews > Ballywhinney Girl

Ballywhinney Girl by Eve Bunting

Jan 13, 12

bookshelves: children-s, picture-book, houghton-mifflin-harcourt, ireland, archaeology, mummies, history, homeschooling, favorites
Read on January 12, 2012 — I own a copy

note to self... add shelf Ireland, Archaeology, Mummies, History

What a delight I found in reading this unexpected book today. While I would not have thought of such a way to introduce mummies to a young child, this is an elegant way. A reader is given not only a valuable lesson on archaeology in real life, but also to vocabulary and some culture of an Irish land and bog.

I could easily see this one come of the shelf for interest as well as extra story reinforcement in various classes. This one definitely has value in a school shelf.

Early in life, before one's vocabulary is highly defined pictures and images are the entry way to learning and the soul. There are fun and fluffy things in life, but there are also hard things that can be difficult for a child to understand. Being able to introduce my girls to the idea of girl's past life long gone in such a beautiful way filled with images full of emotion and feelings is precious to me. I'm very glad that I found this one and it is a keeper and one to spread the word about. I'm quite curious what else I might find in a similar sense from these two picture-book author/artist team.

Typed on NookColor.
Thanks to HMH for providing a copy for review.

Look for post to come in March 2012.
Originally posted: http://wp.me/pYHD5-333
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ballywhinney Girl.