Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Eyes of the Dragon Unabridged CD's

The Eyes of the Dragon Unabridged CD's by Stephen King

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, ya-fantasy

Interesting and slightly odd mixture of Stephen Kings story telling and a slightly more classic/mythological tale than we're used to from the modern prince of horror.

This is described by some as Stephen King doing children's literature". Well, I wouldn't really call it that. I'm aware that Mr. King dedicated this to his daughter...but I would suggest that you read it yourself first before giving it to a child, at least a child younger than say, 12. Just my opinion. It's how I'd handle it.

The story is a fair one and you'll see echos of a lot of Mr. King's other books not to mention echos of other stories going back to early myths and epics.

I'll not be adding this to my "permanent collection" and I don't have plans to read it again, but still it's a pretty good yarn.

So, what's positive and what's negative? Well there is still the slightly tainted feel I've noted in most of Mr. Kings other stories. (view spoiler) We get a bit this. There are at least two scenes with relatively long detailed descriptions of nose pickers, one of whom likes to eat his discoveries... get the picture?

Also there are a few times where the story gets repetitive. We cover a period of time, then we go back and get the story of what went on in detail. Then there are times we drop back and cover the same period of time from another character's point of view. I did get a bit bored, enough to skip some of the book at one point.

Still, the story is laid out in a straight forward manner that will I believe draw most in. Even with the repetition it doesn't slow way down often. The story is told in a more traditional style drawing on older stories even fairy tales. It weaves a tale that while I doubt most will find it surprising it will keep you interested and give some enjoyment.

I'll go four on this, if just and recommend it.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eyes of the Dragon Unabridged CD's.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Coyle (new)

Coyle Ooh, excellent choice! Stephen King does childrens' lit!

Mike (the Paladin) Just downloaded it, plan to start it (maybe) tomorrow.