Tabitha (Pabkins)'s Reviews > Stormdancer

Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff

Kick-ass fight scenes, vivid characters and mythic creatures in a crazy alternate steampunk Japan that will ensnare you!

I find it really hard to portray just how radtastic of a read Stormdancer is. Steampunk is certainly all the rage right now but I haven’t seen anyone do it the way Kristoff has managed. He didn’t glorify the machines, instead he showed us the gritty dirty side to what a crazed machine age could do to the once beautiful and lush country of Japan. Cue the blood red bleeding skies, with air so choked with filth the populace can’t even go about daily life without wearing a breathing apparatus. To bad the poor are stuck with just a rag over their mouths and noses. Who doesn’t like a little grime and misery?

There are the expected airships and goggles that most people have come to identify steampunk with. However, what might not be expected was the awesome mechanized full body armor suits and chainsaw like weapons.

Yukiko and Buruu (the gryphon) were excellently crafted characters. Both of them displayed solid personal growth through the entirety of the book. Yukiko went from a young girl concerned mostly with her own feelings to a woman ready to fight for the good of the people. Buruu was just as interesting. He seemed very angry and closed minded in regards to humans but the way he thinks and feels changes gradually until he trust his very life to Yukiko. I’ve rarely seen the development of a relationship done so well with the slow progression of trust.

I don’t want to give anything away but I must say there were a lot of twists in Stormdancer that I didn’t see coming. I absolutely love it when I can’t predict what is going to happen in a book. It has me foaming at the mouth to know what is going to happen next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stormdancer.

09/06/2012 page 38
09/07/2012 page 282
83.0% "ok this was unexpected, live just when I can't figure out how things play out" 4 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tabitha (Pabkins) Ok, I'm gnashing my teeth here. September? Really!? Come on! I'm so terrible at waiting.

Christopher no lie :)

Tabitha (Pabkins) I signed up to try to get an Advanced reader copy. I've got my fingers crossed! Sign up and see if you get one - here is the link http://www.goodreads.com/user_status/...

Christopher Tabitha the Pabkins wrote: "I signed up to try to get an Advanced reader copy. I've got my fingers crossed! Sign up and see if you get one - here is the link http://www.goodreads.com/user_status/..."

That's what I was doing when I commented on your comment. :)
It sounds like an amazing story.

Tabitha (Pabkins) Christopher wrote: "Tabitha the Pabkins wrote: "I signed up to try to get an Advanced reader copy. I've got my fingers crossed! Sign up and see if you get one - here is the link http://www.goodreads.com/user_status/sh..."

Yeah and you should follow the author's reviews - he is hilarious. Reading his reviews always cracks me up.