Amy's Reviews > Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen

Illuminations by Mary Sharratt

Oct 16, 12

bookshelves: arcs, ebook-galley, historical-fiction, on-my-kindle, net-galley, read-in-2012
Read from September 01 to 17, 2012 — I own a copy

I became a fan of author Mary Sharratt when I read her novel, Daughters of the Witching Hill, so I've been anticipating the release of Illuminations with great excitement and when I was offered the opportunity to review it I jumped at the chance!

Illuminations tells the story of Hildegard von Bingen, who as a young girl was offered to the church as a companion to an anchorite nun, Jutta Von Sponheim. At the tender age of eight Hildegard was sealed in a small cell with Jutta where she would remain for over two decades. Once Jutta dies Hildegard works tirelessly to free her fellow nuns from the isolation of the anchorage and moves them to their own monastery at St. Rupertsberg where she serves as Prioress. Throughout her life Hildegard experienced religious visions and she would eventually record them into three works. She also wrote plays, music and books on natural medicine. Hildegard was recently canonized as a saint by Pope Benedict XVI. She is only one of four women to be named a Doctor of the Church by the Roman Catholic Church.

Mary Sharratt's writing is pure excellence! She has a way of pulling the reader in and keeping them hooked. Even though a majority of the book takes place in a tiny room there were never any slow or boring parts. Hildegard was truly an amazing and inspiring woman and Sharratt does a fabulous job at bringing her to life! Highly recommended!
6 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illuminations.

09/13/2012 page 155
53.0% 3 comments

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Me too - I love Mary Sharratt!

Audra (Unabridged Chick) I've never heard of her but looking at her books I think I'm going to be a fan -- am going to see if the library has anything of hers!

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I recommend Daughters of the Witching Hill, it was fabulous!

Suzanne And I recommend "The Vanishing Point". I look forward to this one, it will be nice reading Hildegard fiction (so far I only read a German non fiction book on her - extremely intersting)

message 6: by Astrid (new) - added it

Astrid Amy wrote: "I recommend Daughters of the Witching Hill, it was fabulous!"

I agree! That was my first Mary Sharratt book!

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Spencer Oh, this sounds interesting! I always love finding romance and historical fiction with unusual settings. I read The Vanishing Point a few years ago, and I remember liking her writing style.