Ruth's Reviews > The Emperor's Knife

The Emperor's Knife by Mazarkis Williams

Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: spec-fic

C2011: This was a recommendation via one of the book blogging sites that I stalk from time to time. I am not normally led up the garden path by these recommendations and this book is no exception to the rule. I really enjoyed it and found the characters and the magic different to many that I have read. The writing style is terse with short sentences and phrases (some of them would have been highlighted but my version of Word is telling me that they were not full sentences) which all added to the sense of tension and anticipation. Not much time was wasted on character development but somehow I felt that there was just enough of everything. My favourite character (OMG – this is turning into a book report for primary school) was a relatively minor one – Banreh – ooh the strong and silent type. I did like the way that the various “pairings” were juxtaposed with different outcomes. FWFTB: plague, forgotten, grasslands, service, desert. FCN: Emperor Beyon, Prince Sarmin, Mesema, Banreh, Eyul. “How I wish you had been born to noble blood. You are wasted as an assassin. Of course it is all nonsense, the idea of royal blood, noble blood. Power is a different thing.”
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor's Knife.