Jaclyn's Reviews > The Talent Code: Unlocking the Secret of Skill in Sports, Art, Music, Math, and Just About Anything

The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle

Feb 18, 2012

bookshelves: psychology, sociology, business, leadership, sports, science, music-musicians, non-fiction
Read from January 12 to February 03, 2012

The Talent Code is an interesting look at what talent really is, and how it's developed. It touches on three main ideas: deep practice, motivation, and master coaching, and discusses in depth how each of these factors plays a role in those who are deemed as extreme talents in their areas. There are many case studies cited to support his findings, as well as quite a bit about the biological research being done to support this theory. I found it to be a very interesting and easy read. It's finding have implications in many aspects of life, from developing skills in areas like sports and music, the two categories most often referenced as case studies, to business, education, and aging. As I was reading it, I found myself more often thinking about how I could apply this research toward my daughter, in helping her develop her interests and hobbies into future possibilities and real talents. But I also found myself looking back at how I innately developed my own talents and interests over the years, and comparing his findings to my own experiences. All in all, I found this book to be applicable in many aspects of life, very relatable, and I highly recommend it, especially to those who consider themselves leaders and educators, or who want to be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Talent Code.