Janette Fuller's Reviews > The Best Time to Read

4919001
Jan 12, 12

bookshelves: children
Read in January, 2012

"May I read to you?", asked the young boy.
A young reader is searching for someone to listen to him read aloud. Is there anyone in his family who will take time to listen?
"The Best Time to Read", by Debbie Bertram and Susan Bloom, is a rhyming picture book that will entertain and delight young readers.

This picture book features a young boy who is just learning to read. He has a book in his hand and goes to each member of his family asking them to listen to him read the book aloud.

Unfortunately, it seems that everyone is busy and the boy retreats to his room to read to his stuffed animals. Wait! He hears a knock at his door and his entire family (even the dog) wants to listen to the boy read.

The book ends with a family story time on the floor of the boy's room.

When I worked as an elementary school librarian, I was always looking for books that would promote reading. This rhyming picture book is a perfect example of the kind of material that I enjoyed sharing with my students.

This book was originally published in 2005 and was released as an ebook for the Kindle in February, 2011. I viewed the book on my Kindle 3 (black-and-white pictures) and the Kindle for PC application (color pictures). The color illustrations, by Michael Garland, are amazing and add depth and emotion to the text. The black-and-white illustrations are clear and bright.

Each page of the book consists of a picture and three lines of text on the Kindle. The text appears above the picture and is clear and easy to read. The pictures take up about one-third of the screen and the lower portion of the screen is blank - it would have been nice to see the pictures filling up the entire screen.

This story promotes reading and family unity. Parents are often "too busy" to spend quality time with their children. This book reminds us that the time we spend with our children is a wise investment. Highly recommended as a read-aloud selection and for independent reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Time to Read.