Stephanie 's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Mar 24, 12

bookshelves: coming-of-age, educational-fiction, philosophical-existentialism, realistic-fiction, ya-mature
Recommended for: Everyone 15 and older
Read from March 20 to 24, 2012

Well, there are plenty other detailed reviews out there for consumption. This one will just get straight to the point of why I liked it.

It's a book many young people and adults can read, should read. It has a variety of teaching moments for the young adult as they undergo their various teen milestones, and it doesn't hold back from illustrating accurate actions of teenagers and the language they use to communicate. I really appreciated the philosophical enlightenment Green was able to capture for the characters while simultaneously encouraging readers to do the same, but doing so unassumingly. I feel inspired to pursue my own Great Perhaps To me, this book had less pretension, both linguistically (Character dialogue) and artistically, than my first Green experience via The Fault in Our Stars.

Favorite quote out of the vast many: "But we can't know better until knowing better is useless"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.

03/20/2012 page 60
03/21/2012 page 100
45.0% "Do not like this bitch, Alaska. Not at all. Maybe that'll change."
03/23/2012 page 190
86.0% "lets see if i can stop disliking Miles in the last 30 pages."