Wendy Lohr's Reviews > Deadly Obsession

Nov 30, 14

bookshelves: adult-romance
Read from January 29 to February 02, 2012

Plot:

When Nic "The Lover" Lamoureux, Hollywoods' premier A-list actor and playboy, meets department store photographer and single mom Lauren James, the sparks fly and passion ignites. Unfortunately, Nic is the object of many women's desires including a dangerous stalker. Unable to stay away from Lauren due to his increasing feelings for her, Nic unwittingly puts Lauren into the stalkers' sights and subsequently in danger. If these two want to have any chance at exploring a real relationship, the stalker's identity must be discovered before something truly deadly happens to one, or both, of them.

Characters:

Nic Lamoureux is used to the spotlight and the constant hassle of dealing with the infamous Hollywood paparazzi. But, it's not really who he is. He draws on every bit of his incredible, Oscar-worthy acting skills to keep his private life a secret as he has many things he doesn't want the masses knowing. Playing the carefree loverboy is almost easier than dealing with the inner demons that haunt him and the crazy stalker that seems to know his every move. He truly turns out to be a very sweet, loving, caring man who is fiercely loyal and protective of those he loves...a perfect leading man!

Lauren James is a widowed single mother who struggles to make ends meet as a department store photographer. She has dreams of becoming a professional free-lance photographer one day and her big chance occurs when she wins a contest...the prize? A professional photo shoot with none other than Nic The Lover. As she comes to terms with her increasing desires and feelings for Nic, she manages to find strength and confidence and happiness again. She's truly an inspiring leading lady that any woman could relate to and respect!

World-Building:

Nic's world is mainly a world of paparazzi, glamour, and constant tabloid headlines whether he's on or off the set. But his private life is the complete opposite of his public image and the author has woven the two together seamlessly. Lauren's world is that of a working single mother trying to do the best for her son while striving to make her own dreams come true. All of these worlds come together to make an intriguing backdrop to a fascinating story.

Overall Impression:

I will honestly say that this book truly surprised me in a very good way! I won a copy of it from the author through a giveaway that Shannon at Cocktails and Books was hosting. The synopsis sounded interesting but I've learned that most romance novels I read end up falling in the 3-star range or below. Not this one, however. It had me from the very first page and I truly didn't want to put it down! The plot was intriguing, the world fascinating, and the characters and their interactions were awesome! The only down-side to this book was that I had figured out who the stalker was way too soon. It would have been nice to have been kept guessing a little more before actually figuring it out. But, the book still was an incredible read. There were actually three perspectives in this book: Nic's, Lauren's, and the stalker's. I really liked that because it gave me a glimpse into each person's head and what their motivations and feelings were. And some of the stalker's passages were very creepy but still felt so realistic!

This book is meant for 18+ due to sex scenes and language, so I can only recommend this book to the 18+ reader. But those that meet that criteria, if you're looking for a really good romance novel with a solid plot and an edge, definitely check out this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Obsession.

01/29/2012
12.0% "This book has taken me by surprise and is really good so far!"
show 3 hidden updates…