kari's Reviews > Clockwork Prince

Jan 12, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012
Read from January 10 to 16, 2012

Five hundred pages in which very little occurs other than (say it with me) the love triangle. This whole book is a love triangle in search of a story.
Do they find Mortmain? No.
Do they even find out where he might be? No.
Do they find out why Mortmain wants Tessa? No.
Do they find out what exactly Tessa is? No.
Do Tessa and Jem get up close and personal? Yes.
Do Tessa and Will get up close and personal? Yes.
Do you get my point? I hope so.
I don't like this.
There is nothing that happens here that moves the plot along. Not one thing, unless you believe that the book isn't about the actual automaton army or the evil plot of its creator and is, in fact, only supposed to be about the triangle, in which case, you will be very happy. Enjoy.
And I am so exhausted with reading about how good, kind, thoughtful, cheerful, wonderful, perfect, and DELICATE is Gem, I mean Jem. (Clever use of naming there, except NOT) I was so angry with Tessa at the end of this book. I was so angry that she didn't even take a day to think things over (view spoiler) Honestly, Ms. Clare, please think up something else for tension in your books. Please.
Most of the book is everyone sitting around the dining table or in the drawing room or various bedrooms(Tessa) and talking, plotting what they will do, where they will go, etc. And most of the action seems only to be situations in which Tessa can be alone with either of her boys or both.
They travel to Yorkshire, both boys.
They search out Will in Whitechapel, Jem (and then a cuddle up with Will).
A fancy ball at Lightwood's estate, Will.
Visiting Jessamine, Jem
Visiting Lightwood, Will.
And that is pretty much all that actually happens.
I've said this before about other books, but I do think it bears repeating. If Tessa was a guy messing this way with two hot girls, would readers think it is perfectly fine? I really don't think they would. And, honestly Tessa's behavior isn't okay. It. Just. Is. Not. (I don't mean that in the Victorian sense, but almost having sex with this boy one night and the next night being all over the other one, it is questionable behavior, to say the least.)
(view spoiler)
One final very last thing, I promise this is my really last addition, but it's a biggie. Will and Jem are parabatai, closer than brothers, finish each other's sentences, no that's wrong, they actually finish each other's thoughts. All of that, they are so close, they are each other's rock, each other's steadfast friend when they have no friends left. And neither one of them, not at all, not even a tiny little teeny weeny hint, neither one has any idea that the other one is in love with the girl he loves. I find that impossible to believe. Neither one would notice that the other acts differently around this girl. Neither one would say, "hey, dude" what's up with that?" Yeah, I know, these are Victorian Shadowhunters who would not say hey dude, but seriously, they would be aware of the other, wouldn't they? Seriously, wouldn't they? I know gentlemen of this time were very circumspect in their conversation and all that, but come the heck on. Even Fitzwilliam Darcy in Pride and Prejudice, the paragon of manners and proper behavior(hey, if Clare can use those references then so can I) discusses matters of the heart with his friend, Bingley so you can't say that men don't do that.
I will finish off this series. There had best be only one more book as planned. Unfortunately, there is nothing original here and unless Clare can come up with a new plot that isn't merely romantic angst for no real reason masquerading as whatever this is supposed to be, I will think more than twice about starting any new series she might write. Sorry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Prince.

01/14/2012 page 235
47.0% "Tessa Grey seems to be a strumpet, a tart, a hussy
Her morals would appear to be seriously lacking.

Psst. Tessa.... when about to do the deed with one boy you really shouldn't be thinking that the other one would know what to do. Or that this one is so delicate. Bleh."
01/14/2012 page 235
47.0% "Tessa Grey seems to be a strumpet, a tart, a hussy
Her morals would appear to be seriously lacking.

Psst. Tessa.... when about to do the deed with one boy you really shouldn't be thinking that the other one would know what to do. Or how delicate he is? Bleh." 2 comments
01/17/2012 page 502
100.0% "Tessa Grey seems to be a strumpet, a tart, a hussy

01/17/2012 page 503
100.0% "Tessa Grey seems to be a strumpet, a tart, a hussy

02/08/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

kari ♫You love her
But she loves him
And he loves somebody else
You just can't win
And so it goes
Till the day you die
This thing they call love
It's gonna make you cry
I've had the blues
The reds and the pinks
One thing for sure
(Love stinks)
Love stinks yeah yeah ♪

And you're probably thinking what the heck is she singing for in a comment. Well, because this seems to be the whole premise here. Really. Let's have a STORY, not more triangle. And so far, that's all this is. And not even a triangle, it's some multi-sided thing that, ugh, who cares?

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane I've always loved that song. So true to life.

Tina I so so agree with you on this book. The only reason I kept going and read was because of the familiarity to this world and characters. Other than that, it really wasn't that great.

My biggest problem with the first book was that it all took place in the institute. Nothing happened. I was very sad to see it continue with this one.

kari Tina wrote: "I so so agree with you on this book. The only reason I kept going and read was because of the familiarity to this world and characters. Other than that, it really wasn't that great.

My biggest pr..."

I just wanted more than love triangle and that is actually all there is to this one. What little story there is only supports the triangle. So many of these series are unneccessary to be series because so much of the books nothing happens. Tired of it.

Spider the Doof Warrior i will not be suckered by her nice covers. I say, they should just have a three way

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Jones thank you for saving my daughters from blah

Ashley I hate love triangles and that's pretty much what this book was. I thought the whole situation with Tessa and the two boys was very predictable and overdramatic. None of my questions were answered and the series shifted from action to teenage melodrama. I was not impressed.

Scissorsandpaper i agree ....this book is overrated...the action was really slow but still i look forward for the next book, hopefully it will be better

Scissorsandpaper if i read the word "peculiar" one more time i'll go nuts

message 10: by Nick (last edited Jun 13, 2012 03:28PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nick Hadn't realised the thing about them being parabatai and not noticing the other was in love with Tessa. Too many things wrong with this book for me to notice that too :P

message 11: by Cari (new)

Cari Loved your review. And so true and fun to read! You're completely right. Why the hell couldn't she think of more of a plot besides the love triangle? The clockworks were interesting. The love triangle tiring.

~Haelee~ I absolutely agree with EVERYTHING your review said!!!! It's exactly what I was thinking after I read the book too. Thank you for putting all my angry thoughts into words!!! :D

Henry Brooks Very true

Ninasimone You said it Kari---I will finish the series but I think I will wait on a new one. Tired of the Jace/Clary redux.

Maggie LOL.. I waited to read your review until I did mine. Ditto, ditto, and ditto.

message 16: by kari (new) - rated it 2 stars

kari Maggie wrote: "LOL.. I waited to read your review until I did mine. Ditto, ditto, and ditto."

Thanks! This series started out with so many interesting possibilities and has become just another triangle. Sad, really.

message 17: by Regina (new) - added it

Regina I'm applauding your review. Bravo! Your whole comment about everything, from Tessa not thinking the engagement through, to Jem/Will not recognizing that the other is in love with Tessa, too.

message 18: by kari (last edited Feb 14, 2013 05:16AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

kari Regina wrote: "I'm applauding your review. Bravo! Your whole comment about everything, from Tessa not thinking the engagement through, to Jem/Will not recognizing that the other is in love with Tessa, too."

Thanks! How could neither of them see the other one is interested in Tessa? That was probably what I considered the biggest plot hole, made no sense. And Tessa is an idiot to get engaged when she knows she loves someone else, someone who within hours confesses his love to her, but she must stand by her hours' old commitment. Sheesh!

message 19: by Sandra (last edited Jun 19, 2013 06:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sandra ugh I so agree! I got nothing from this book. I could pick a romance novel and well read about the love triangle if i wanted (which i dont) BUT THIS? Too much. JUST TOO MUCH. I mean, I didn't even get a bit of relevant information and none of questions (like yours) were answered. I feel cheated.
Everything about your review is right u_u

message 20: by kari (new) - rated it 2 stars

kari Sandra wrote: "ugh I so agree! I got nothing from this book. I could pick a romance novel and well read about the love triangle if i wanted (which i dont) BUT THIS? Too much. JUST TOO MUCH. I mean, I didn't even ..."

Thanks. I was looking for plot and answers to at least some of the questions, NOT more teenage angst!

Spider the Doof Warrior I hate teenage angst.

Spider the Doof Warrior How many times must I explain that this is A REVIEW SITE WHERE PEOPLE REVIEW THINGS?!

message 23: by Figgy (new)

Figgy Hey, Jeremy, you seem to keep forgetting those apologies you mean so "sincerely" before you rage quit each time.

She's ALLOWED to not like a book. She's ALLOWED to complain in her review.

She PAID for something which only brought her annoyance. I'd be pissed, too.

Maggie Kari the troublemaker... Lol. People of different ages backgrounds culture etc will read books and have opinions. Be respectful Jeremy!

message 25: by Matías (new)

Matías Zitterkopf I won't read these books but I've just finished the TMI saga. By the angel! So many pages and paragraphs that don't say nothing, they're just there to get more pages. That's Cassandra's problem. She needs to stop and respect her characters and stories, not to extend them forever. But oh well, it gives her money.

message 26: by Andre (new) - rated it 1 star

Andre I actually missed that she tasted drugs when kissing Jem, then again she is just as careless and stupid off drigs as she is on drugs, so maybe that is why.

As for Tessa saying Jem said things that he did not, that is the Clareway. She constantly tells the readers that stuff happened that they never saw before or afterwards. In this book here she had Tessa say Will always made her laugh, but I cannot remember that ever happening, ever, before she said that,
It is her typical style of "tell, don't show."

Bookworm OH MY GOD!! Thank you for your review!! It's a relief to see that someone thinks almost exactly what I do. I found the book very boring and the love triangle was the most IRRITATING thing. I TOTALLY agree with you on how Jem and Will never noticed or were not aware that the other was in love with Tessa? ITS SO SO SO STUPID. And I hated Tessa. I hated her for how OBVIOUS it is that she was really in love with Will and not Jem, and she clearly was with him because she wanted him to live happy before he dies. I mean, is it just me? I think it was so obvious. And I hated her for that. Never mind that, IT IS ALL SO RIDICULOUS. I hate it. And I'm going to suffer through the next book just because I already have it and I hate starting something without completing it. I wanna bloody end the whole thing!! Oh and if you already read it; please tell me things will be better, please.

message 28: by Erin (new) - rated it 1 star

Erin O'Roark THIS IS SUCH A GOOD REVIEW.

message 29: by Allie (new)

Allie A compelling statement, but I differ in opinion personally

message 30: by Allie (new)

Allie I agree with you on the fact that she switched continuously between Will and Jem romantically, I will give you that, that was pretty irritating.

message 31: by Alan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alan Braswell Just recently read your review of Clockwork Prince and apologize for being so late in commenting.
The questions you ask at the beginning of your review shows that your not the author.
Put yourself in the position of the author. If you were writing this trilogy would you explain everything in the second book or have cliffhangers to keep the readers wanting to by the third book in the series?
Hopefully you would pick the later rather than the former
That is what second book in a trilogy does.
Apparently you want everything answered in the second book of the trilogy.
Now author.
What hell do you write for a third book?

Maggie Alan wrote: "Just recently read your review of Clockwork Prince and apologize for being so late in commenting.
Put yourself..."

I think her points are valid and of course she's not the author. You don't have to necessarily answer all the questions, but the plot needs to advance and not just be another "Twilight-y" love story. Skilled writing advances the plot while developing new questions or giving information that helps lead you to answers to big questions. If you know the same as your did at the beginning of the book as you did at the end, you've gone nowhere and lose interest.