Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Goddess Interrupted

Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
3270188
's review
Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: kat-s-book-reviews, kat-s-rants, to-ya-or-not-to-ya, ya-pnr-maddness
Read from January 12 to 14, 2012

I requested Goddess Interrupted as I'd seen potential, amidst the frustration, in The Goddess Test. I thought that, given time, hard work and thoughtful application to her prose, Carter might be a good author one day.

Unfortunately, that didn't quite happen here and part of me understands why. A lot of the reviews for The Goddess Test focus on:

GAH! The mythology! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and

A VIRGIN!? A VIRGIN!? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!


A VIRGIN. I mean, I'm not getting over that any time soon!

So I appreciate Carter's efforts to address some of that a little in the novel. Well, no not really, but I'm trying really hard to be nice here.

But the underlying themes of fidelity and sexual repression were always highly problematic and they've only devolved in this novel.

We see this through the characters of Ava and Persephone who are judged and censured very heavily by the main character, Kate. Ava stays pretty firmly in the camp of irredeemable slut. As for Persephone: one moment she's the Whore of Babylon and the next she's just a selfish, confused woman. Note: Neither of these are accurate or even good characterization!

Kate says over and over that, no matter what, she would NEVER have cheated on Henry. That's nice, Kate. You're all of, what? 18? Easy to make absolutes when you're 18 and it's your first time in love. So very, very easy.

Persephone was a confused, naive girl when she was married off (didn't chose) to the Lord of the Underworld. She never loved him, she hated her job and she withered up without the sun and freedom. She stayed that way for THOUSANDS of years before finally falling in love with a man and deciding that she'd had enough of a loveless, passionless marriage. Yet everyone, even the other gods who saw her and how miserable she was, judges her as a shameless hussy.

How long does Kate last in her passionless, loveless marriage? *Pulls out fingers and toes to start counting* well, let's see. They married just before her six month vacation where she didn't see or hear from Henry. And when she gets back shit breaks out and so when she finally decides to leave him it would have been... a day. Yes. it takes her a day of actually being with Henry before she hangs up the crown and decides to ditch him.

The double standards, which exist all through this book, are aggravating.

In the the first book Ava is punished by Kate. You see, Ava had been in a relationship with one man. Then she'd ditched him and started seeing another guy. Guy #1 bursts in on guy #2 and they fight. One of them almost dies. Whose at fault? Ava. Obviously. Men can't be expected to control themselves when it comes to sex and it was CLEARLY Ava's fault for... whatever.

So we see Calliope turn evil and she does it because her husband, Zeus, has cheated on her throughout antiquity. It was really satisfying to see everyone angry and annoyed with Walter. To see him take personal responsibility for his actions and how they've affected Calliope and to see him take part in her punishment... no, wait. Sorry, none of that happens. Actually, Calliope is handed over to him so that he can punish her and and try to force her compliance. She disgusts him. Charming.

The fail, unfortunately, doesn't stop there.

We have frustrating characters, too little plot for too many novels, bad pacing, vague action scenes and feminist issues with how the main character is treated.

I could spend all day complaining about how often we had to have Kate reassured that Henry loved her, or how frustratingly annoying Henry is or how unnecessary James is as a character. About how Henry WASN'T a virgin because he'd had sex. Once with Persephone. And it was terrible. You know, I think that's actually worse than if he were a virgin...

But most of all, I'm STILL just really disappointed. Because this is still watered-down mythology and a poor excuse of a Hades/Persephone retelling. It's still a copout in so many ways and it's still thoughtless in its narrative and treatment of characters.

I won't read the next one. I think Carter's progress as a writer is limited in the world she's already built. But I do think I've seen evidence in the text that leads me to believe that she's better than this. I guess I'll have to wait until she leaves this series behind to find out if that's true.
164 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goddess Interrupted.
sign in »

Reading Progress

01/13/2012 page 54
18.0% "Ah Henry, you have the romantic appeal of a moist slug with a genital itch." 16 comments
01/14/2012 page 149
49.0% "Well aren't we just judgy mcjudgerton, Kate." 4 comments

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Feeling adventurous today?


message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Oy, I predict another "happy" review coming.


message 3: by rameau (new)

rameau This should be interesting.


Kat Kennedy I thought I'd give Carter another chance. Also I'm balls out insane.


message 5: by Lucy (new)

Lucy I won't judge you. I'm reading Beautiful Disaster. I think it's gonna break records all over the place for me.


message 6: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy Yikes.


message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate Copeseeley I still haven't read the first one yet, though it is in my queue. As someone who has little to no memory of mythology from my school days, is there a CHANCE of me liking these books?


message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Kat, I just read the summary of the book. I don't think I need to point out the mythology fails that are obvious JUST from that. *sigh*
I think I need some hot chocolate...


message 10: by Synesthesia (new)

Synesthesia I did not even know slugs could get that, let alone have genitals. Very creative!


message 11: by Stardrag (new)

Stardrag This one looks like it might be worse...well, unless the big reveal won't be as bad as before. Maybe Persephone will get her lost on purpose down there


message 12: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Henry WASN'T a virgin because he'd had sex. Once with Persephone. And it was terrible.

Once over thousands of years? And it was her fault it was bad I am guessing?


Kat Kennedy Actually, even worse. It was his fault. Persephone thinks it was horrible sex.

Let me just reiterate that:

THE LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD IS BAD IN BED!


message 14: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana I haven't even read this book, but I am already sick of these dumb characters (and plot).


Kat Kennedy It was very painful to read. Yet ultimately disappointing. I kept seeing flashes of promise that were then squandered on cheap, amateur hijinks.


message 16: by Vi (new)

Vi Vi Sick of misogyny in YA.

Good review.


message 17: by Synesthesia (new)

Synesthesia How in hell's holy cacophonous screaming bloody bells can a GOD be bad in bed?
Surely a GOD would know about that sort of thing.


message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine So it seems this book is ignoring the myths where Hades has children, huh? And the whole thing where he tried to seduce Minthe but his wife stopped him and turned Minthe into a plant? And the rest of Greek myth?


message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate Copeseeley

THE LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD IS BAD IN BED!"


Bwhahahahaha! Funniest thing ever said about him, I'm sure.


message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky Good God. Just what we need, more cheap gender stereotypes in YA lit.

The ones with promise are the worst to read, I think, because you can actually SEE the places where the books could have been better but ultimately fell flat.


message 21: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn I am getting sick and tired of reading books that are so blatantly nasty towards female sexuality. I'm tired of reading about women who put a toe out of line or flirt a little too much, and are suddenly evil characters who need to be punished disproportionately. Or even worse, showing weak-willed, wobbly-spined, timid, submissive female characters as the epitome of good-n-great (See: Bella Swan).


message 22: by Krystle (new)

Krystle Good thing I resisted the temptation of requesting it. Everneath was a much better done retelling, in my eyes.


message 23: by Ceilidh (new)

Ceilidh Ugh, of course Persephone would be portrayed as the selfish hussy. Poor virginal Hades has had it so tough. Great review, Kat.


message 24: by rameau (new)

rameau Kat wrote: "THE LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD IS BAD IN BED!"

That is unacceptable!

I was so badly burned by The Goddess Test that I don't think I'll even try reading her books after this series without some exceptionally convincing reviews from my friends.

Great review as always.


Kadbury(Young Readers) So not requesting it now! WAS going to cause the blurb was interesting but BOOK 1 was horrid!


message 26: by Cyna (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cyna Goddammit, I was hoping that this was exactly what this book would NOT do. *headdesk*


message 27: by Essence (new)

Essence Obsessed with Greek mythology. I read the first one just to get a good healthy dose of my obsession. And let me just say I wasn't impressed but the book drew me along with the promise of an ending. Besides, if there's one thing I like more then mythology it's the seven deadly sins. But now hearing your review I think I can put the books behind me. Anything that messes up Greek Mythology that bad is garbage. Plus, The Gods were promiscuous adulterers; sexual frustration and judgement has no place in Greek Mythology.


message 28: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda This is a fricken book. It's not a history textbook. No need to get your panties in a bunch. And tell me how many successful books have you published? Uhhh that's right none. So no need to be rude to this author. She didn't claim it to be nonfiction. It's in the fiction section. ERGO IT'S NOT GOING TO BE TRUE.


Kat Kennedy There, there, Lucinda. It's an opinion - not stated fact. Go write your own review and get some of that angst out.


message 30: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Kat wrote: "There, there, Lucinda. It's an opinion - not stated fact. Go write your own review and get some of that angst out."

Haha... Well said.


Vanessa *Bluest Ribbon* Lucinda wrote: "This is a fricken book. It's not a history textbook. No need to get your panties in a bunch. And tell me how many successful books have you published? Uhhh that's right none. So no need to be rude ..."

Reviews = 0, Ratings = 0. Oh my... maybe you should start with this book?


message 32: by Zuleeza (new)

Zuleeza Kat wrote: "There, there, Lucinda. It's an opinion - not stated fact. Go write your own review and get some of that angst out."

You handled it like a boss, Kat!


message 33: by Dominika (new)

Dominika Kat, I'm seeing trolls all over your wall today. Damn, girl, you're popular with them ;)


message 34: by Synesthesia (new)

Synesthesia Hopefully I do not sound trolly.
Also, dude! Just because it's a book, doesn't mean it doesn't have to be accurate, man! Dang!

Also, Greek mythology is unlikely to be true.... But accuracy is niice. And I will publish a book. See if I won't!


Kat Kennedy Thanks! I'm pretty used to dealing with them now.


message 36: by ♥Kel (new)

♥Kel i dnt no if i want to read this 1, i read the 1st book, and it was dissapointing, idk....... wat is this 1 about? does she even see henry throughout the book??


Kelly I just unliked your review so I could like it again. There's so little of the Cronus stuff and it's so vague that I feel like she was trying to get around describing them.


message 38: by ♥Kel (new)

♥Kel oh ok, like i feel like ithe 1st book its way 2 strethed, it doesnt depend on the romance, idk


message 39: by Grace (new)

Grace Why the hell is this book so high rated then? wtf.....either you guys are exaggerating or there are a lot of people I don't want to be book friends with


Kat Kennedy People have very divergent tastes. You may like it. I most certainly did not.


message 41: by Balpreet (new)

Balpreet I'm definitely reconsidering reading the second one. I just started reading the first and I'm already pretty bored. But honestly, is it THAT bad?


Cassandra I totally respect your opinion and I just finished this book today but what you are not taking into consideration is that this is FICTION. It's not the greatest book ever but it is good. Just my opinion.


Kat Kennedy I still expect fiction to be good.


Kelly Yeah, where does this idea come from that you just have to enjoy any fiction that comes along because, after all, it's just fiction?


nicole wrong meme


message 46: by Becky (new)

Becky Cassandra wrote: "I totally respect your opinion and I just finished this book today but what you are not taking into consideration is that this is FICTION."

Not sure what your point is. A book's only going to be one of two things: fiction or non-fiction. Are you making the case that all fiction should be held to a lower standard than non-fiction?


Joanna They are not saying that because it is fiction it deserves lower standards. They are saying that it's BECAUSE it is historically incorrect it is fiction. It is like a published fanfiction. It's the original story with a twist. In the fanfiction world it would be called an AU, for Alternate Universe. Just because it doesn't follow the original myth doesn't change that its a good book.


message 48: by Stardrag (new)

Stardrag Joanna wrote: "They are not saying that because it is fiction it deserves lower standards. They are saying that it's BECAUSE it is historically incorrect it is fiction. It is like a published fanfiction. It's the..."

You're right. I don't think that's why its a bad book, but I think there are other reasons for that present in this review. The books is too far removed from the original myths. Disney's Hercules was cool even thought it twisted a lot of the original stuff up for a younger demographic. The characters didn't make much sense, the two books together had bad pacing and bunch of other problems already highlighted above.

So even if it is fiction of a different kind, it's still bad for more than one reason.


back to top