Rula Bilbeisi's Reviews > Olives: A Violent Romance

Olives by Alexander McNabb

Jan 19, 12

Read from January 12 to 19, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Olives.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rula Bilbeisi Olives

For all those who want to understand why peace between Arabs and Israelis is only a five lettered word written in treaties, for all those who are up to facing a different reality beyond that heard or read in their local news, for all those who just want to enjoy a novel in which romance and politics blend together producing a thrilling theme… read “Olives”.

Struggling to maintain his objectivity, the writer exposes realities of a peace process that is actually only giving way to continuous war crimes that swirls on without end.

The writers well researched insights on various topics such as the water shortage in the area, the “security wall”, or simply the expelling and killing of Palestinians, were all described in a convincing and exiting manner that makes the reader look forward to reading more.

I loved Jordan even more seeing it through the writer’s eyes. Away from home, I missed the alleys, the food and the streets of my beautiful hometown Amman. Loved Aisha and hated Paul (I think as was supposed to), and till the very end, was still in doubt of the simple facts, not knowing who the liar was and who was saying the truth …. Isn’t that what politics is all about … deception?

Definitely a must read. I would recommend this novel to all my friends.