Ms. Yingling's Reviews > Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading

Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading by Tommy Greenwald

Jan 12, 12

Greenwald, Tommy. Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading.
Charlie Joe is proud of the fact that he's never read a book all the way through. He knows how to convince teachers that he has, and has an arrangement with one of his friends to trade book information for ice cream sandwiches. He's got the system down: e.g. if parents say "read three chapters", they can be one or two page chapters. When projects loom and his plans fall apart due to the vagaries of middle school alliances and relationships, Charlie Joe may be forced to do some actual reading.
Strengths: Charlie Joe never starts to LOVE to read. Hooray! Mr. Greenwald clearly road tested this book on actual boys, so this clever book rings true. The realignments in romances, and the descriptions of the girls Charlie Joe likes are really brilliant, and I adored this tip on page 123: " If you have to read, read about girls. It helps you understand them better." Validation from an actual boy for Boys Read Pink Month. I'll see if Mr. Greenwald will sponsor us! This was a great book, although a bit long for truly reluctant readers. Will it trick them? Hmmm.
Weaknesses: I didn't buy the student testimonies at Charlie Joe's Position Paper. Or the Position Paper format. I also had problems with the speech at the dance. This is one of my pet peeves, like hall monitors, selling things at school. It's nowhere in my experience and I find it hard to believe it exists anywhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jeremiah Hood I actuall enjoyed the speech. It depicts how he really felt.