Max's Reviews > Leviathan Wakes

bookshelves: science-fiction, outstanding-books
Recommended to Max by: GoodReads
Recommended for: Anyone
Read from January 12 to 14, 2012, read count: 1

Well, that was surprising. I only picked this book up because I was looking for a short book of something else than fantasy to get back to ASOIAF afterwards, but the story sucked me in and refused to let me go for way too long. In fact, I have spent almost all my free time of the last three days on this book, instead of learning for the upcoming exams. Go figure.

So, about the book. First off, let me tell you that I am by no means an expert on Science Fiction. The last science fiction book I read has been more than a year ago. So, I can't give fancy comparasions to other books or anything like that.
I can only say that this probably has to be the best science fiction book I have read to date. The story was relly interesting and actually managed to keep my guessing for a long time, which does not happen too often. Every time I think I figured it out, a new twist of the story comes out of nowhere and I am back to square one with my prediction of how the book will go on. In fact, I only saw the ending coming about ten or twenty pages before the book was actually over.
Another think I really liked about the book is that there were some parts where I thought "Well, this would make for a fine cliff-hanger ending, since the book is only part one of the Series. I guess it's just a short book", only to take a look at the page number and see that I was only halfway through (This can obviously only happen if you are reading on an eReader...).
To point out a few more things that I liked: The characters were really believable and alive, and I really enjoyed the development Miller went through, the story mostly free of obvious cliches (Again, I don't know much about Science Fiction cliches), and there were some really humorous moments that didn't seem artificial at all.

So, although I and most of my friends here mostly read fantasy, I would recommend this book to just about anyone who isn't afraid of space or a physics student (Some parts of the physics seemed a bit strange to me, but I am not an expert on physics either, so whatever).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan Wakes.

01/13/2012 page 289
57.0% "Another discovery from my "reading something else than fantasy"-Project. Liking it a lot so far. Big parts are actually unpredictable, which is almost a rareness, the writing is good and the characters are likeable. SPending way too much time reading this instead of preparing for the exams ahead... Good thing its not too long."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mojo Good review. I found this one as part of The Dragon's Path and thought it was fantastic. I'm slowly working my way down to the next one on my too read list. Looking forward to it.