Allison (The Allure of Books)'s Reviews > Storm Front

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Sep 28, 12

bookshelves: 2012, series_dresden
Read from January 28 to 29, 2012

Storm Front by Jim Butcher was a very pleasant surprise, y’all. I decided to read it because Becky at Escapism Through Books was picking it up. I ended up loving it a lot more than I expected to! The characters, writing and magical system all sucked me in.

The writing style of Storm Front fit my personality so well, you guys. It was so dry and witty. I found so many things absolutely hilarious. Here are a couple of my favorite (shorter) quotes:

Paranoid? Probably. But just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean there isn’t an invisible demon about to eat your face.

Have you ever been approached by a grim-looking man, carrying a naked sword with a blade about ten miles long in his hand, in the middle of the night, beneath the stars on the shores of Lake Michigan? If you have, seek professional help. If you have not, then believe you me, it can scare the bejeezus out of you.

I want to meet Jim Butcher now! I bet he is something else. Why did I wait so long to start this series again?

So anyway, Harry Dresden is a wizard. Really – you can look him up in the phone book. When Storm Front begins, he is broke. When the police call for his help on a sensitive case, he is thrilled. Maybe he’ll be able to pay his rent. He also gets called by a woman hoping he can help find her husband. He is less thrilled with this case, but hey. A man’s gotta eat, right?

So, Storm Front follows Harry as he noses around, trying to find information on both these cases. Things heat up pretty quickly though, you definitely get to see what he is like under pressure!

You also get to see really awesome stuff like Bob (the horny spirit trapped in a skull) helping him make a love potion, with ingredients such as a torn up $50 bill. (What did I say? Jim Butcher is definitely the man.)

The only bummer I found in Storm Front was that the plot was pitifully see-through. You can see the big twist coming about 10 miles away. But, I loved everything else so much that I don’t even care. I’ve heard the later books in the series are much better in this regard. I’ll look forward to those – because I definitely need more Harry Dresden in my life!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Front.

01/29/2012