beggs's Reviews > The Children of Húrin

The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien

Sep 03, 07

Recommended for: Hardcore Tolkien fans.
Read in July, 2007

The Children of Hurin is not a for people who saw the Lord of the Rings movies and then read the book. It's for hardcore fans. The people who remember all the names from the The Silmarillion. Or for the few people out there who reread Beowulf a lot. The Children of Hurin reads like a Nordic Saga.

As a self proclaimed Tolkien Fanatic I enjoyed The Children or Hurin. The Heroic, epic and ultimately tragic life of Turin and his sisters. It's not more The Lord of the Rings but it continues to paint a more vivid tapestry for the Fellowships stories to play out against.

There are a number or jarring transitions in the book. Evidence of the unfinished state Tolkien left the tale in. But this actually gives a more authentic feeling to the story. Like a recovered Saga or Epic that is missing a few passages.

Hurin is high fantasy and if it were not set in the world of Tolkien's other stories it would be as unaccessible as the Kalevala. Even with it's grounding in the world of hobbits it is a book for the few not the many.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children of Húrin.

Dana Salman So, should I read The Silmarillion first before I read this? Because I see it in bookshops everywhere and I have this desperate urge to return to Middle-Earth, even after rereading The Lord of the Rings.

message 2: by Gbvenom (new)

Gbvenom Dana, I would stronlgy recommend you read The Silmarillion first.

Dana Salman Gbvenom wrote: "Dana, I would stronlgy recommend you read The Silmarillion first."

Is it really necessary? To understand The Children of Hurin I mean? Cause I already bought it. And I can't find the Silmarillion anywhere.

message 4: by David W. (new) - added it

David W. The Silmarillion is like a Bible of Middle-earth, and I believe that it contains the story of Húrin in a briefer form somewhere in the latter half.

message 5: by Justin (new) - added it

Justin Bender This review made me decide to buy this book.