Annie Brewer's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Jan 22, 12

bookshelves: absolutely-amazingly-awesome, books-on-my-shelf, favorite
Recommended to Annie by: Everyone
Read from January 12 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: Any and all vampire fans!

Love this book so much!!! So much awesomeness!!! I love all of these characters, the plot, the romance-all of it!! It was a hell of a book!

****Proper review to come****

OKAY, upon purchasing this book, I never really planned on reading it. I thought it was another Twilight, which sure I am a Twilight fan but not of the books. Just the movies. However, after learning I am so far behind on this series (which apparently is a crime, don't ever tell anyone you've never read it!! Whew!!!). Many of my awesomely kick ass friends convinced me to give it a try. So reluctantly, I gave in. However, I was NOT disappointed!!! Wow, holy crappers! This was awesome! It had everything in a book that I could possibly want. It never left me bored. But YES, it did have MANY similarities to Half-Blood which is written by a new favorite author of mine. And to be honest, after realizing how close these 2 series are, I never loved them more! Wow, it was still awesome!!! I think this was better than Twilight!!!!! Way to go Rachelle!!

Synopsis:

Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . . .
Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever...

My review:

Well, I loved it. I truly did. I liked Rose Hathaway, for the most part. She is a very strong heroine. Her love for her best friend and the fact that she is so protective of Lissa is so wonderful. I admire her. She is smart, funny, and just plain kicks ass. I like the ones that don't take shit from anyone, and she certainly doesn't. But after everything she has to go through(like all of the bullying and lies people spread about her at school) and the sacrifices she makes is none other than heroic and she holds her own. Though there were times where I wanted to yell at her too. But hey, she can't be perfect!!!

Lissa was another character I liked. She was a weaker of the two. But I enjoyed her moments as well. She loved Rose like a sister. After losing her parents and brother, I can't imagine what she goes through. I can relate to her in some ways though. I did lose my father, so I know what it's like to lose a family memeber. Either way, she was a great asset to this story!

Mason. Oh Mason. He was wonderful! I could tell he liked Rose. But he was still there for her even if she didn't reciprocate. He was a best guy friend a girl could ask for. I loved the way he always stuck up for Rose when kids were being assholes. Go Mason!!! I was seriously cheering him on when he almost beat up Ralf and Jesse....which I hated by the way! They were jerks! But with Mason around, you were always safe. I hope his character continues throughout the books!

Christian. Oh yes. I liked him alot. He is perfect for Lissa!! I couldn't help but feel sorry for dear Christian. He was a sweetheart but everyone treated him like he was invisible. So sad. He understood Lissa and cared for her alot. Every moment with him made me smile. I heart you Christian!!

And last of all, DIMITRI!! Oh man, he is awesome!!! I love this guy! No other is as perfect for Rose as Dimitri is. He is exactly like Aiden whom I love from Half-Blood. Everything about him. Well, except Aiden doesn't have a Russian accent. Oh yes, Dimitri is Russian. Hello hottie!!! But seriously, he was my favorite. He was funny, kind, caring, shy, hard ass, sensitive, understanding, loving, tough, and HOT HOT HOT.

Let's look at this........

Rose=Alex
Dimitri=Aiden

Rose goes back to the academy to train to fight the Strigois...
Alex goes back to the covenant to train to fight the Daimons...

Dimitri is hot and sexy and becomes Rose's trainer and he loves her...
Alex is hot and sexy and becomes Alex's trainer and he loves her...

See a pattern here???? I LOVE IT!!!! I don't care that they are similar, Jennifer L Armentrout is my favorite author and she can write a hell of a story! But I think Rachelle is great too!! They were both unique in their own way and I will continue to be fans of both! I am getting ready to start Frostbite, the sequel to this!! Whoop whoop! So I recommend this series to everyone, if you like vampires you'll like this!

FAVORITE QUOTES:

“Do you think I'm pretty?
I think your beautiful
Beautiful?
You are so beautiful, it hurts sometimes”

“I’d said it before and meant it: Alive or undead, the love of my life was a badass.”~Dimitri

“The only thing better than imagining Dimitri carrying me in his arms was imagining him shirtless while carrying me in his arms.”~Rose

“Wow." I hadn't thought Dimitri could be any cooler, but I was wrong. "You beat up your dad. I mean, that's really horrible...what happened. But, wow. You really are a god."
He blinked. "What?"
"Uh, nothing.”

“You…you got rid of that dress fast," I pointed out between heavy breaths. "I thought you liked it."
"I do like it," he said. His breathing was as heavy as mine. "I love it."
And then he took me to the bed.” ~Rose & Dimitri

“Lissa and I had been friends ever since kindergarten, when our teacher had paired us up together for writing lessons. Forcing five-year-olds to spell Vasilisa Dragomir and Rosemarie Hathaway was beyond cruel, and we’d—or rather, I’d—responded appropriately. I’d chucked my book at out teacher and called her a fascist bastard. I hadn’t known what those words meant, but I’d known how to hit a moving target.
Lissa and I had been inseparable ever since.”

“Hey Mason, wipe the drool off your face. If you're going to think about me naked, do it on your own time." [...]
"This is my time, Hathaway. I'm leading today's session."
"Oh yeah?" I retorted. "Huh. Well, I guess this is a good time to think about me naked, then."
"It's always a good a time to think about you naked," added someone nearby, breaking the tension further.” ~Rose & Mason

“A ghostly smile flickered across his face. "If you weren't so psychotic, you'd be fun to hang around."
"Funny, I feel that way about you too." He didn't say anything else, but the smile grew, and he walked away.”~Rose & Christian

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.

Quotes Annie Liked

Richelle Mead
“Do you think I'm pretty?
I think you're beautiful
Beautiful?
You are so beautiful, it hurts sometimes.”

Richelle Mead
“The spell. Victor said you had to want me... to care about me... for it to work." When he didn't say anything, I tried to grip his shirt, but my fingers were too weak. "Did you? Did you want me?"
His words came out thickly. "Yes, Roza. I did want you. I still do. I wish... we could be together."
"Then why did you lie to me?"
We reached the clinic, and he managed to open the door while still holding me. As soon as he stepped inside, he began yelling for help.
"Why did you lie?" I murmured again.
Still holding me in his arms, he looked down at me. I could hear voices and footsteps getting closer.
"Because we can't be together."
"Because of the age thing, right?" I asked. "Because you're my mentor?"
His fingertip gently wiped away a tear that had escaped down my cheek. "That's part of it," he said. "But also... well, you and I will both be Lissa's gaurdians someday. I need to protect her at all cost. If a pack of Strogoi come, I need to throw my body between them and her."
I know that. Of course that's what you have to do." The black sparkles were dancing in front of my eyes again. I was fading out.
"No. If I let myself love you, I won't throw myself in front of her. I'll throw myself in front of you.”

Richelle Mead
“Did you see that dress?” "I saw the dress.” "Did you like it?” He didn't answer. I took that as a yes. "Am I going to endanger my reputation if I wear it to the dance?” When he spoke, I could barely hear him. "You'll endanger the school.” I smiled and fell asleep.”

He blinked. "What?"
"Uh, nothing.”

Richelle Mead
"I do like it," he said. His breathing was as heavy as mine. "I love it."
And then he took me to the bed.”

Richelle Mead
"This is my time, Hathaway. I'm leading today's session."

01/17/2012 "OK, Miss Vain....starting this NOW! :)" 2 comments
01/17/2012 "Really liking this book!!! So far so good."
01/18/2012 "Really liking Mr Dimitri Belikov so far!!! :)"
01/18/2012 page 105
32.0% "I am loving this damn book!! Why did I wait so long!!! So glad you all convinced me to read this series!!!! :)"
70.0% "Loving it!!!!"
70.0% "I like Christian. He is perfect for Lissa!" 4 comments
01/21/2012 page 232
70.0% "Really Rose?! Quit being such a damn bitch!!!! Gaaaaaah!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» That is a good question! I think he is American but his ancestors are probably foreign!

message 152: by Miss (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miss Maida wrote: "That is a good question! I think he is American but his ancestors are probably foreign!"

His ancestors are from Russia. They all have russian last name.

message 153: by Miss (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miss BTW, sorry for interruption.
@Annie, I´m doin a happy dance because you liked Vampire Academy! ;)

message 154: by Annie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annie Brewer Oh yes he does have a Russian last name. But I guess that makes no difference. I have a Polish last name and am part Polish but I am American. Hmmm.

@Miss, I am glad I made you happy enough to do that!! I loved it!! Can't wait to delve into the next one!! :):)

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» No worries! And your right! Russia is the answer! LOL ;p

message 156: by Miss (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miss Dimitri is from Sibir, and I think I read that all important Moroi families came from Russia.

@Annie- part Polish?! Wow! You´re almost my neighbour! ;D I´m from Croatia. LOL

message 157: by Miss (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miss BTW, I´m team Adrian all the way. Because of him I´m Miss Ivashkov.

message 158: by Stormy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stormy Annie, there are so many great guys in VA you wont know what to do with yourself. LOL

Dimitri, Adrian, Eddie, Christian, Mason, Ambrose...I'm sure there is more.

The best things about the VA series is the sexual tension and the action. :)

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» Amen to that Stormy! LOL ;p

message 160: by Annie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annie Brewer Well Miss, I am also German and Russian too. I am a Mutt!! LOL

@Stormy....is the sexual tension as good as it is in Obsidian?! Cause that was some bad ass tension there!!! Well I already like Mason and love Christian and Dimitri!!! Geez, I will be a slut just from this series!! Haha

message 161: by Stormy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stormy Hmmm...no, I don't think there is a book out there that even compares to the amount of sexual tension in Obsidian but its good.

message 162: by Annie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annie Brewer Haha...not even in the adult books?? LOL But I agree!! There's not, but I will settle for whatever I get in the next VA books!! :)

message 163: by Stormy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stormy Well, there might be in some adult books but not in the ones I've read. LOL

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» Aren't all the new books of YA filled with HOT stuff!? Is it just me or is that true! ;)

message 165: by Annie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annie Brewer No its true. But they all keep it clean. Its enough to make you want more though!!!! Love it!!!

message 166: by Stormy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stormy I bet you were cursing at Dimitri when he took off that spelled necklace. LOL

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» You have no idea! I was like "what....the good part was just around the corner!" LOL ;p I think I wasn't the only one with that thought, though!

message 168: by Annie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annie Brewer No you weren't!!! I was kinda disappointed in him. Then I was mad when he told her he didn't feel that way about her. I wanted to slap some sense into him.

message 169: by Annie (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 170: by Stormy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stormy You will want to do that a lot to him as the series continues, Annie. LOL

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» Especially, in Spirit Bound!!! Arggggg....that book was just heart breaking, man, I swear I cried so many times, it's not even funny! ;(

message 172: by Anni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni would you leave a comment about the book on my blog?

Strawberryicecream22 sounds interesting!

message 174: by Tonya (new) - added it

Tonya Annie, are these books YA, or Adult?

message 175: by Stormy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stormy They are YA. There are some sex scenes but they're cut off when the real stuff starts.

1 2 4 next »