Annie Brewer's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Jan 22, 12

bookshelves: absolutely-amazingly-awesome, books-on-my-shelf, favorite, 5-star-worthy, bad-ass-heroine, best-series-ever, favorite-authors, paranormal, romance, vampires, ya
Recommended to Annie by: Everyone
Read from January 12 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: Any and all vampire fans!

Love this book so much!!! So much awesomeness!!! I love all of these characters, the plot, the romance-all of it!! It was a hell of a book!

****Proper review to come****

OKAY, upon purchasing this book, I never really planned on reading it. I thought it was another Twilight, which sure I am a Twilight fan but not of the books. Just the movies. However, after learning I am so far behind on this series (which apparently is a crime, don't ever tell anyone you've never read it!! Whew!!!). Many of my awesomely kick ass friends convinced me to give it a try. So reluctantly, I gave in. However, I was NOT disappointed!!! Wow, holy crappers! This was awesome! It had everything in a book that I could possibly want. It never left me bored. But YES, it did have MANY similarities to Half-Blood which is written by a new favorite author of mine. And to be honest, after realizing how close these 2 series are, I never loved them more! Wow, it was still awesome!!! I think this was better than Twilight!!!!! Way to go Rachelle!!

Synopsis:

Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . . .
Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever...

My review:

Well, I loved it. I truly did. I liked Rose Hathaway, for the most part. She is a very strong heroine. Her love for her best friend and the fact that she is so protective of Lissa is so wonderful. I admire her. She is smart, funny, and just plain kicks ass. I like the ones that don't take shit from anyone, and she certainly doesn't. But after everything she has to go through(like all of the bullying and lies people spread about her at school) and the sacrifices she makes is none other than heroic and she holds her own. Though there were times where I wanted to yell at her too. But hey, she can't be perfect!!!

Lissa was another character I liked. She was a weaker of the two. But I enjoyed her moments as well. She loved Rose like a sister. After losing her parents and brother, I can't imagine what she goes through. I can relate to her in some ways though. I did lose my father, so I know what it's like to lose a family memeber. Either way, she was a great asset to this story!

Mason. Oh Mason. He was wonderful! I could tell he liked Rose. But he was still there for her even if she didn't reciprocate. He was a best guy friend a girl could ask for. I loved the way he always stuck up for Rose when kids were being assholes. Go Mason!!! I was seriously cheering him on when he almost beat up Ralf and Jesse....which I hated by the way! They were jerks! But with Mason around, you were always safe. I hope his character continues throughout the books!

Christian. Oh yes. I liked him alot. He is perfect for Lissa!! I couldn't help but feel sorry for dear Christian. He was a sweetheart but everyone treated him like he was invisible. So sad. He understood Lissa and cared for her alot. Every moment with him made me smile. I heart you Christian!!

And last of all, DIMITRI!! Oh man, he is awesome!!! I love this guy! No other is as perfect for Rose as Dimitri is. He is exactly like Aiden whom I love from Half-Blood. Everything about him. Well, except Aiden doesn't have a Russian accent. Oh yes, Dimitri is Russian. Hello hottie!!! But seriously, he was my favorite. He was funny, kind, caring, shy, hard ass, sensitive, understanding, loving, tough, and HOT HOT HOT.

Let's look at this........

Rose=Alex
Dimitri=Aiden

Rose goes back to the academy to train to fight the Strigois...
Alex goes back to the covenant to train to fight the Daimons...

Dimitri is hot and sexy and becomes Rose's trainer and he loves her...
Alex is hot and sexy and becomes Alex's trainer and he loves her...

See a pattern here???? I LOVE IT!!!! I don't care that they are similar, Jennifer L Armentrout is my favorite author and she can write a hell of a story! But I think Rachelle is great too!! They were both unique in their own way and I will continue to be fans of both! I am getting ready to start Frostbite, the sequel to this!! Whoop whoop! So I recommend this series to everyone, if you like vampires you'll like this!

FAVORITE QUOTES:

“Do you think I'm pretty?
I think your beautiful
Beautiful?
You are so beautiful, it hurts sometimes”

“I’d said it before and meant it: Alive or undead, the love of my life was a badass.”~Dimitri

“The only thing better than imagining Dimitri carrying me in his arms was imagining him shirtless while carrying me in his arms.”~Rose

“Wow." I hadn't thought Dimitri could be any cooler, but I was wrong. "You beat up your dad. I mean, that's really horrible...what happened. But, wow. You really are a god."
He blinked. "What?"
"Uh, nothing.”

“You…you got rid of that dress fast," I pointed out between heavy breaths. "I thought you liked it."
"I do like it," he said. His breathing was as heavy as mine. "I love it."
And then he took me to the bed.” ~Rose & Dimitri

“Lissa and I had been friends ever since kindergarten, when our teacher had paired us up together for writing lessons. Forcing five-year-olds to spell Vasilisa Dragomir and Rosemarie Hathaway was beyond cruel, and we’d—or rather, I’d—responded appropriately. I’d chucked my book at out teacher and called her a fascist bastard. I hadn’t known what those words meant, but I’d known how to hit a moving target.
Lissa and I had been inseparable ever since.”

“Hey Mason, wipe the drool off your face. If you're going to think about me naked, do it on your own time." [...]
"This is my time, Hathaway. I'm leading today's session."
"Oh yeah?" I retorted. "Huh. Well, I guess this is a good time to think about me naked, then."
"It's always a good a time to think about you naked," added someone nearby, breaking the tension further.” ~Rose & Mason

“A ghostly smile flickered across his face. "If you weren't so psychotic, you'd be fun to hang around."
"Funny, I feel that way about you too." He didn't say anything else, but the smile grew, and he walked away.”~Rose & Christian

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.

Quotes Annie Liked

Richelle Mead
“The spell. Victor said you had to want me... to care about me... for it to work." When he didn't say anything, I tried to grip his shirt, but my fingers were too weak. "Did you? Did you want me?"
His words came out thickly. "Yes, Roza. I did want you. I still do. I wish... we could be together."
"Then why did you lie to me?"
We reached the clinic, and he managed to open the door while still holding me. As soon as he stepped inside, he began yelling for help.
"Why did you lie?" I murmured again.
Still holding me in his arms, he looked down at me. I could hear voices and footsteps getting closer.
"Because we can't be together."
"Because of the age thing, right?" I asked. "Because you're my mentor?"
His fingertip gently wiped away a tear that had escaped down my cheek. "That's part of it," he said. "But also... well, you and I will both be Lissa's gaurdians someday. I need to protect her at all cost. If a pack of Strogoi come, I need to throw my body between them and her."
I know that. Of course that's what you have to do." The black sparkles were dancing in front of my eyes again. I was fading out.
"No. If I let myself love you, I won't throw myself in front of her. I'll throw myself in front of you.”

Richelle Mead
"This is my time, Hathaway. I'm leading today's session."

Richelle Mead
“Did you see that dress?” "I saw the dress.” "Did you like it?” He didn't answer. I took that as a yes. "Am I going to endanger my reputation if I wear it to the dance?” When he spoke, I could barely hear him. "You'll endanger the school.” I smiled and fell asleep.”

Richelle Mead
"I do like it," he said. His breathing was as heavy as mine. "I love it."
And then he took me to the bed.”

Richelle Mead
“Do you think I'm pretty?
I think you're beautiful
Beautiful?
You are so beautiful, it hurts sometimes.”

He blinked. "What?"
"Uh, nothing.”

01/17/2012 "OK, Miss Vain....starting this NOW! :)" 2 comments
01/17/2012 "Really liking this book!!! So far so good."
01/18/2012 "Really liking Mr Dimitri Belikov so far!!! :)"
01/18/2012 page 105
32.0% "I am loving this damn book!! Why did I wait so long!!! So glad you all convinced me to read this series!!!! :)"
70.0% "Loving it!!!!"
70.0% "I like Christian. He is perfect for Lissa!" 4 comments
01/21/2012 page 232
70.0% "Really Rose?! Quit being such a damn bitch!!!! Gaaaaaah!"

MISS VAIN I got the recs, thanks Annie. They're already on my Tbr list, and I own Unearthly too!;)

I'm a couple reviews behind myself.

I'll add Touch though, thanks!;)

message 52: by Rosa (last edited Jan 17, 2012 09:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa First Off Annie, obsessed much? Ren and Dhiren are the same guy! But I guess Ren would be on my list twice as well! And oh my gosh Miss Vain you are so lucky! I really want to read Pure, like I would give my left pinkie to read that book right now! Okay so here is my standing order, 1. Daemon 2. Four *squeal* 3.Dimitri (both bad and non, more bad then non cuz lord only knows what he would do to me!)*squeal, fans myself*4.Ren *heart skips a rapid beat* 5.Kishan *grips counter to keep from falling over* 6. Dank a.k.a Death 7. Aiden 8. Kale 9.Dorian *blushes just thinking about the different ways to...nm* 10. Patch 11. Ooohhhh and "Just call me Will" from Angelfire! But he is also tied with Will from TID! I could probably add like a hundred more so I'll stop there!

Annie Brewer Uhhhhh actually there are 2 Rens. Dhiren from Tiger's saga and Ren from Nightshade. I still love him, he's not dead to me. Andrea may have killed him off but dammit he's still alive in my eyes. Okay so Four?! As in John Smith....in I am Number Four?! I am assuming that's who you're talking about. So I obsess much?! Maybe but it seems we all got the case of the obsesses. Yes that's not a word but it fits. Ha. What is Dorian from?! I haven't read Angelfire yet....I am guessing its good?!

message 54: by Rosa (last edited Jan 17, 2012 09:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa Okay I forgot about the two Rens! Sorry my bad. And I can admit it I am addicted to books! And book boyfriends! I've always been okay with my craziness, in fact I embrace it! It makes me way funner then most! So Four is from Divergent! Oh is he ever! John smith was a little annoying for me! But I thought the girl was pretty bad ass! So Dorian is from Richelle Mead's Dark Swan Series! Oh so good! He is a Fae king who likes tying me up and making me beg for it! I mean the women he sleeps with, not me cuz I'm not in the book, but oh is he ever in my imagination! Hold on give me a minute to recover!................ Okay and I loved Angelfire! I know some people were a little annoyed by her cuz her parents were well off financially, but I once met a guy who had lots of money, and I being ignorant at the time, made a snide remark about must be nice. And he said that that's not fair. He didn't ask to be born into his life, so how is it his fault he is rich? So yeah same thing here. She isn't like a brat or anything plus she is pretty kick ass!

Annie Brewer Omg you are so funny!! I always picture myself in the books too!! Me instead of those lucky biatches!!! So not fair!!! But yea I love my obsession and don't care if I sound stupid or childish. I embrace it and love being a booknerd. I am glued to my nook and books. Can't go anywhere without them!!!
Well I will read Angelfire sometime for sure! I've got it on my nook just haven't gotten to it yet amoung a million others. So many great books-so little time in a day!!! *sigh*

So what would you say is your favorite series?!

message 56: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa What? Annie that's like asking which one of my kids is my favorite! I mean my kids are mostly annoying and the books not so much, but still I can't pick a favorite! But my top series are The Tigers Curse, The Covenant Series, The Lux series, The Existence Series, The Denazen series, The Divergent Trilogy, and The Infernal Devices. Just to name a few! Right now I'm stalking Jennifer Armentrout trying to get as much Lux and Convenant info as I possibly can! But I'm still in utter shock and all around annoyed about the way Tigers Voyage ended! Then I Found out there was not 1 but 2 more books to the series. I almost had a brain aneurism!plus I got and ARC copy of Tiger's Voyage so I've been full of all that Tiger's Curse feelings for like 2 months longer then everybody else! It's horrid! And what about yourself Miss Annie what far off places that you have visited that have become your favorite?

Annie Brewer Haha wow, you lucky duck!!! Yea the ending sucked! And yes there are TWO more books!! Can't wait for Destiny!!! Also there will be a movie!! So freakin excited!! Love love my Ren tiger!!! Um okay so my favorites you ask?! Well lets see....Tiger's saga, the Mortal Instruments, Hush Hush series, Shadow Falls series, the Lux series, the Covenant series, Wolves of Mercy Falls, the Denazen series, Unearthly, Die for Me, Starcrossed and many more. My mind drew a blank all of a sudden. Yea I've been following Jennifer on GR and FB. I love Aiden. And his extra little chapter on her website was OMG....so HOT!!!! He and Daemon definitely do something to me!!! *swoon swoon*

message 58: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa You are not alone Daemon alone just talking puts me in the mood, to uh read the book. Yeah that's what I was thinking! I was so disappointed in the Wolves of Mercy Falls! Wow the last book was so bad! I too loved the hush, hush saga! Again I was mad when I found out like a week before Silence came out there was going to be a Fouth book! Why can't it just end in one big book! I hate waiting! I'm the most impatient person ever! And of course we disagree on The Mortal Instrument series. But the fourth book was way better cuz now they weren't trying to get it on even though they thought they were brother and sister! That just grossed me out to no end.

Marie I READ THIS. Not my favouraite series but definitley a good read.

message 60: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa Trust me Annie, you're going to be liking Dimitri a hell of a lot more!

Annie Brewer Oh I trust that I will too! :)

Ashley I love this series. I'm glad you are enjoying it :)

Annie Brewer Yes, I am loving it!!! But my nook broke so I have to wait til next week to finish the series. Though I did buy VA on paperback so I can finish this book.

Yousra Ouahabi Hassani Sooooooo happy you're enjoying it!!!! It is truly one of the best series out there. And that's not all!!! It gets better and better with each book you read ;) And when you finish them, make sure you read Bloodlines too, it's the 1st book in the spin-off series <3

Annie Brewer Yep! I fully intend on reading that one too! This is a great series for sure!! What are you reading now?!

Holli I'm glad you liked it, ... it was a little too dysfunctional for me.

Annie Brewer LOL I can understand that. I guess dysfunctional is my middle name so I fit right in. :)

Yousra Ouahabi Hassani Annie wrote: "Yep! I fully intend on reading that one too! This is a great series for sure!! What are you reading now?!"

Was reading Bloodrose and was about to pick up Obsidian but then I dropped them all to read a book for a contest in our school next Friday, then I'll get back full force ;)

Annie Brewer Ok good. Be sure to check out Obsidian next!! You're gonna love it!!

Shreya (CCReviews) agreed!

MISS VAIN TOLD YOU SO ANNIE! ;) I knew you would love it!:)))

Stormy Yay! Glad you liked it. :)

Annie Brewer Yes yes Miss Vain...you know me so well!!!!!! Thanks to everyone for convincing me to read this!!! I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!! :)

MISS VAIN Haha, Annie, glad you enjoyed it.:)

Shreya (CCReviews) hey annie, was half-blood exactly like this?

Annie Brewer Like what?!

Annie Brewer No, Half-Blood is not a vampire book....but it's really good! You need to read it!! :)

Shreya (CCReviews) Annie wrote: "No, Half-Blood is not a vampire book....but it's really good! You need to read it!! :)"

i know :) im getting it tomm!!! everyone keeps going on about how jennifer stole the plot and all that bullpoopy. but i luv jennifer too much to give a poop. plus im like: vampires and greek gods? how r they similar, go get a life" so yahhhhhhhh :)

Annie Brewer Oh well, there are similarities for sure. But they are both amazing in their own way. I ignored the trash talk about how Jennifer stole Rachelle's idea. Really, they are not exactly the same. I loved them both.

Stormy I can't wait to get your full review on this!

Annie Brewer Yes I will do it tomorrow for sure!! :)

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» WOO HOOO, you finished it! I am glad you liked it! So, do you like Dimitri yet!?

Annie Brewer Oh yes....so far Team Dimitri. I realize how similar VA really is to Half-Blood. Dimitri and Rose are Alex and Aiden!!! Awwww, I love them!!!

Love both series!!

Stormy They are so alike it is not even funny! I love it though! Wait until you get to read about Adrian. You will love him. Well, maybe not at first but in the end you will. He is so funny. :)

Yousra Ouahabi Hassani Stormy wrote: "They are so alike it is not even funny! I love it though! Wait until you get to read about Adrian. You will love him. Well, maybe not at first but in the end you will. He is so funny. :)"

Gotta agree with you girl, I didn't give Adrian much though in the first books but in the last two and Bloodlines especially, I started to love him more and more.
So Annie, when are u gonna start Frostbite?

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» Stormy wrote: "They are so alike it is not even funny! I love it though! Wait until you get to read about Adrian. You will love him. Well, maybe not at first but in the end you will. He is so funny. :)"

LOL that is so true! Adrian is just hilarious. He will a put a smile on your face on your worst days (he's that good) ;p

Annie Brewer Ahhhhhhhh! You guys are so funny! I will prob love Adrian as much as Dimitri! Can't wait!!! That's more boyfriends to add to my list! Geez, I am a hussey!! :)

Yousra, I am starting it today or tomorrow.....but prob tomorrow!! :)

Annie Brewer Hey Stormy, Jennifer Armentrout told me how obsessed she is with the Soul Screamers series.....so I am gonna try it out!!! :)

Shreya (CCReviews) Annie wrote: "Oh well, there are similarities for sure. But they are both amazing in their own way. I ignored the trash talk about how Jennifer stole Rachelle's idea. Really, they are not exactly the same. I lov..."

True, but me, one more than the other! :) and waita procrastinate annie (wow, im such a hypocrite)

Holli Annie, they are 6.80 on nook!

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» Annie wrote: "Hey Stormy, Jennifer Armentrout told me how obsessed she is with the Soul Screamers series.....so I am gonna try it out!!! :)"

You will enjoy that series and yes if you don't end up becoming obsessed with it after your done then.....there is something seriously wrong with you! ;) LOL ;p You'll love it!

Holli <3 Tod <3 :)

Annie Brewer Oh yay!!! More obsessions for me!!! :)

Holli....all of them? That's so awesome! I will get them! Omg I need my nook back now!!!!!!!!

Holli You can still purchase them through your B&N account! And they will sit there till you set up your Nook. Let me go check the first three I looked at where 6.80. Brb!

Holli http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/soul-...

Go check it out! You can get the first three for 6.55 cents! The rest are six and change.

Annie Brewer SWEET!!! Thank you my dear!!! :)

Holli Your very welcome! One through three have a white cover, ... then four and five are both 6.90. Number six is available for pre-order. I'm downloading these puppies. What an awesome price!

Kristina Snyder I loved Vampire Academy as well. I loved Soul Screamers as well. If I Die is the best one yet. You will love them.

Holli There is another one on pre-order Kristina! Before I wake!

message 100: by Annie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annie Brewer Yay!!!! Can't wait to read these bad boys!!!! I am just mad that I have to wait so long to get my nook back and actually read them!!!! Boo!! I am an impatient person....though I do have a few books on hardcover/paperback I could read while I wait!!