Annie Brewer's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Jan 22, 12

bookshelves: absolutely-amazingly-awesome, books-on-my-shelf, favorite, 5-star-worthy, bad-ass-heroine, best-series-ever, favorite-authors, paranormal, romance, vampires, ya
Recommended to Annie by: Everyone
Read from January 12 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: Any and all vampire fans!

Love this book so much!!! So much awesomeness!!! I love all of these characters, the plot, the romance-all of it!! It was a hell of a book!

****Proper review to come****

OKAY, upon purchasing this book, I never really planned on reading it. I thought it was another Twilight, which sure I am a Twilight fan but not of the books. Just the movies. However, after learning I am so far behind on this series (which apparently is a crime, don't ever tell anyone you've never read it!! Whew!!!). Many of my awesomely kick ass friends convinced me to give it a try. So reluctantly, I gave in. However, I was NOT disappointed!!! Wow, holy crappers! This was awesome! It had everything in a book that I could possibly want. It never left me bored. But YES, it did have MANY similarities to Half-Blood which is written by a new favorite author of mine. And to be honest, after realizing how close these 2 series are, I never loved them more! Wow, it was still awesome!!! I think this was better than Twilight!!!!! Way to go Rachelle!!

Synopsis:

Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . . .
Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever...

My review:

Well, I loved it. I truly did. I liked Rose Hathaway, for the most part. She is a very strong heroine. Her love for her best friend and the fact that she is so protective of Lissa is so wonderful. I admire her. She is smart, funny, and just plain kicks ass. I like the ones that don't take shit from anyone, and she certainly doesn't. But after everything she has to go through(like all of the bullying and lies people spread about her at school) and the sacrifices she makes is none other than heroic and she holds her own. Though there were times where I wanted to yell at her too. But hey, she can't be perfect!!!

Lissa was another character I liked. She was a weaker of the two. But I enjoyed her moments as well. She loved Rose like a sister. After losing her parents and brother, I can't imagine what she goes through. I can relate to her in some ways though. I did lose my father, so I know what it's like to lose a family memeber. Either way, she was a great asset to this story!

Mason. Oh Mason. He was wonderful! I could tell he liked Rose. But he was still there for her even if she didn't reciprocate. He was a best guy friend a girl could ask for. I loved the way he always stuck up for Rose when kids were being assholes. Go Mason!!! I was seriously cheering him on when he almost beat up Ralf and Jesse....which I hated by the way! They were jerks! But with Mason around, you were always safe. I hope his character continues throughout the books!

Christian. Oh yes. I liked him alot. He is perfect for Lissa!! I couldn't help but feel sorry for dear Christian. He was a sweetheart but everyone treated him like he was invisible. So sad. He understood Lissa and cared for her alot. Every moment with him made me smile. I heart you Christian!!

And last of all, DIMITRI!! Oh man, he is awesome!!! I love this guy! No other is as perfect for Rose as Dimitri is. He is exactly like Aiden whom I love from Half-Blood. Everything about him. Well, except Aiden doesn't have a Russian accent. Oh yes, Dimitri is Russian. Hello hottie!!! But seriously, he was my favorite. He was funny, kind, caring, shy, hard ass, sensitive, understanding, loving, tough, and HOT HOT HOT.

Let's look at this........

Rose=Alex
Dimitri=Aiden

Rose goes back to the academy to train to fight the Strigois...
Alex goes back to the covenant to train to fight the Daimons...

Dimitri is hot and sexy and becomes Rose's trainer and he loves her...
Alex is hot and sexy and becomes Alex's trainer and he loves her...

See a pattern here???? I LOVE IT!!!! I don't care that they are similar, Jennifer L Armentrout is my favorite author and she can write a hell of a story! But I think Rachelle is great too!! They were both unique in their own way and I will continue to be fans of both! I am getting ready to start Frostbite, the sequel to this!! Whoop whoop! So I recommend this series to everyone, if you like vampires you'll like this!

FAVORITE QUOTES:

“Do you think I'm pretty?
I think your beautiful
Beautiful?
You are so beautiful, it hurts sometimes”

“I’d said it before and meant it: Alive or undead, the love of my life was a badass.”~Dimitri

“The only thing better than imagining Dimitri carrying me in his arms was imagining him shirtless while carrying me in his arms.”~Rose

“Wow." I hadn't thought Dimitri could be any cooler, but I was wrong. "You beat up your dad. I mean, that's really horrible...what happened. But, wow. You really are a god."
He blinked. "What?"
"Uh, nothing.”

“You…you got rid of that dress fast," I pointed out between heavy breaths. "I thought you liked it."
"I do like it," he said. His breathing was as heavy as mine. "I love it."
And then he took me to the bed.” ~Rose & Dimitri

“Lissa and I had been friends ever since kindergarten, when our teacher had paired us up together for writing lessons. Forcing five-year-olds to spell Vasilisa Dragomir and Rosemarie Hathaway was beyond cruel, and we’d—or rather, I’d—responded appropriately. I’d chucked my book at out teacher and called her a fascist bastard. I hadn’t known what those words meant, but I’d known how to hit a moving target.
Lissa and I had been inseparable ever since.”

“Hey Mason, wipe the drool off your face. If you're going to think about me naked, do it on your own time." [...]
"This is my time, Hathaway. I'm leading today's session."
"Oh yeah?" I retorted. "Huh. Well, I guess this is a good time to think about me naked, then."
"It's always a good a time to think about you naked," added someone nearby, breaking the tension further.” ~Rose & Mason

“A ghostly smile flickered across his face. "If you weren't so psychotic, you'd be fun to hang around."
"Funny, I feel that way about you too." He didn't say anything else, but the smile grew, and he walked away.”~Rose & Christian

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.

Quotes Annie Liked

Richelle Mead
“The spell. Victor said you had to want me... to care about me... for it to work." When he didn't say anything, I tried to grip his shirt, but my fingers were too weak. "Did you? Did you want me?"
His words came out thickly. "Yes, Roza. I did want you. I still do. I wish... we could be together."
"Then why did you lie to me?"
We reached the clinic, and he managed to open the door while still holding me. As soon as he stepped inside, he began yelling for help.
"Why did you lie?" I murmured again.
Still holding me in his arms, he looked down at me. I could hear voices and footsteps getting closer.
"Because we can't be together."
"Because of the age thing, right?" I asked. "Because you're my mentor?"
His fingertip gently wiped away a tear that had escaped down my cheek. "That's part of it," he said. "But also... well, you and I will both be Lissa's gaurdians someday. I need to protect her at all cost. If a pack of Strogoi come, I need to throw my body between them and her."
I know that. Of course that's what you have to do." The black sparkles were dancing in front of my eyes again. I was fading out.
"No. If I let myself love you, I won't throw myself in front of her. I'll throw myself in front of you.”

Richelle Mead
"This is my time, Hathaway. I'm leading today's session."

Richelle Mead
“Did you see that dress?” "I saw the dress.” "Did you like it?” He didn't answer. I took that as a yes. "Am I going to endanger my reputation if I wear it to the dance?” When he spoke, I could barely hear him. "You'll endanger the school.” I smiled and fell asleep.”

Richelle Mead
"I do like it," he said. His breathing was as heavy as mine. "I love it."
And then he took me to the bed.”

Richelle Mead
“Do you think I'm pretty?
I think you're beautiful
Beautiful?
You are so beautiful, it hurts sometimes.”

He blinked. "What?"
"Uh, nothing.”

01/17/2012 "OK, Miss Vain....starting this NOW! :)" 2 comments
01/17/2012 "Really liking this book!!! So far so good."
01/18/2012 "Really liking Mr Dimitri Belikov so far!!! :)"
01/18/2012 page 105
32.0% "I am loving this damn book!! Why did I wait so long!!! So glad you all convinced me to read this series!!!! :)"
70.0% "Loving it!!!!"
70.0% "I like Christian. He is perfect for Lissa!" 4 comments
01/21/2012 page 232
70.0% "Really Rose?! Quit being such a damn bitch!!!! Gaaaaaah!"

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Annie, you need to read this asap. Best Series Ever!

Annie Brewer I've been hearing that. I will read it soon! Thanks!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Raiyan is totally right. You need to drop what you are doing and read it now.

Annie Brewer Haha I am reading Half-Blood which is blowing my mind now! I'm on a Jennifer Armentrout kick!! BUT I will get the first book and read it right after!!

MISS VAIN HAHA! Told you Annie.;)

Annie Brewer Yes, yes I know MISS VAIN!! I gave in!! ;)

MISS VAIN YAY!!;))

MISS VAIN You won't regret it.;)

Annie Brewer I am sure I won't. Considering I like Vampire Diaries and I liked Twilight okay I am sure this one will do great for me!

MISS VAIN I'm still a Twi-Hard ;) hehe
But I agree with Raiyan, with her assessment above.

Annie Brewer Yea, the Twilight books didn't do that much for me. I liked the movies better. But that was the problem, I watched them before reading the books so I already had those visions of the characters in my head. But I always read a book before watching the movie if there is one.

Annie Brewer Yea, I am too Miss Vain, but more a Twi-Hard for the movies moreso than the books. They were written well but I already knew what to expect so it wasn't a surprise! Boo! I wish I had read them first.

Mariya Oh, my god. You haven't read this series yet. This should be a crime. Red Alert. Red Alert.

Annie Brewer LMAO! You guys are too much! Uh-oh, I think I hear the sirens now....shit, I better get outta here before they catch me!! *gets in car and drives to Mexico*

MISS VAIN In the summer of 2008 a friend of mine next to me on the elliptical trainer at the gym, said "hey you must read these books (Twilight) they have a movie coming out in two months".....I went to B&N on the way home from the gym, and was glued to the book. ;) So maybe that's why.

Annie Brewer Ahhh, that's cool! Before I even got into these movies, all of my friends including my mother had read the books. I just wasn't interested in reading them or the whole Twilight hype. It took me years to finally cave in and watch the first movie, then I watched the 2nd one and read the books! So yea I was stubborn! lol

MISS VAIN Mariya wrote: "Oh, my god. You haven't read this series yet. This should be a crime. Red Alert. Red Alert."

I told her the same thing last night Mariya!!! My jaw dropped. I agree, a crime.;)

Annie Brewer Well, I have only started to read again the past year and a half so yea I am a little behind. I guess I should be taken away. ;)

Mariya LOL

message 20: by Miss (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miss Yeeeey! You just made me very happy!

Annie Brewer Why's that?? Lol

MISS VAIN You should be locked away you're right!:)) lol.

Annie Brewer Why Miss Vain?! LOL

message 24: by Miss (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miss Just because you´re reading my favorite YA series! :D

message 25: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn Rush Love this series!!! I'm starting Book #4 today!!!!

Annie Brewer Awesome! Well I will let you know what I think of it when I finish! :)

message 27: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa Annie I'm telling you right now BE PREPARED! You and I have A LOT of book boyfriends in common! Dimitri is like top 5 book boyfriend! He was number one for a long time! But oh my gosh he is the freakin sexiest thing ever! Can't wait till you fall all hard core on him! We will have many "adult" things to say about him!

Annie Brewer Haha ok can't wait!!!!!!! I should start it tonight!!! :)

Mariya Woman! You haven't started this yet?! Get on it! DImitri and Adrian are my loves! Yes, I love both love interests which like almost never happens! AHHHHHHHHH!

Annie Brewer Haha I may like 'em both too. Though I hate when that happens. I don't like either one getting hurt. So who is more the bad boy?
I am getting to it. I read 2 other books that I started. But I am starting this! :)

MISS VAIN You must decide for yourself Annie. They're both lust worthy males.
I love Dimitri and he is my favorite, especially for Rose, but I love Adrian too.:))

Mariya Adrian is the bad boy. Dimitri more serious one, but he makes you swoon(he has his moments) as does Adrian. Yes! I"m a total DImitri fan as well. But Love Adrian too! =DDDDD

message 33: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa Wow you guys were no help at all!! Haha but I guess I would say the same! But Dimitri is by far my fav! And he is the epitimy of bad boy in one of the books. But Adrian just wasnt meant to be with Rose! Sorry I'm so team Dimitri!

Annie Brewer Ahhhh! I hate having to choose!! Okay I will go in with an open mind! Thanks ladies! :)

message 35: by MISS VAIN (last edited Jan 16, 2012 10:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MISS VAIN I agree, Dimitri is a very very naughty boy in one of the books, and I don't mind at all giving him a spanking for his naughty ways....;) hehe.

I'm Team Dimitri for Rose, but I still love Adrian.

Annie, you're going to love VA sooooo much!!

Annie Brewer I have been reading some GREAT books/series lately! Let's keep the tradition going! :)

message 37: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa Miss Vain, miss Vain, miss Vain! That was bad! I totally agree with you but that was bad!

MISS VAIN *hangs head in shane* I'll still keep my word though..;) All for the greater good!:)

Annie Brewer Haha love it!!! There are several of my book boyfriends I wanna punish....in a good way!! ;)

message 40: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa You'd have to stand in line lady! Probably a very long line too! But I'd keep you company!

message 41: by Rosa (last edited Jan 16, 2012 10:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa Would Daemon be one of them Annie? Cuz he's like top of my list!

Annie Brewer OH YES Rosa! How'd you guess?! LOL

message 43: by MISS VAIN (last edited Jan 16, 2012 11:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MISS VAIN My adult list is: 1. Bones 2. Terrible 3. Barrons....and then list get way out of hand after those three in my harem of men!;)

Dimitri, Patch, Jace, Will, Seth., Ren.......my YA top

I still need to read Obsidian so I don't know Daemon yet.

MISS VAIN Annie wrote: "Haha love it!!! There are several of my book boyfriends I wanna punish....in a good way!! ;)"

I've probably already punished them for you since I already claimed them...;) HA!

Annie Brewer Hey now, you gotta share!!!

My list 1. Daemon 2. Kale 3. Aiden 4. Jace 5. Ren 6. Dhiren 7. Patch 8. Lucas (shadow falls) 9. Tucker and the list goes on and on

Yes Miss Vain, you gotta read Obsidian!!! And Touch too!

MISS VAIN My friend is sending me her ARC of Pure in the mail right now. I'm so excited!!:)

I'm going to read Obsidian, I've already downloaded it. What is Touch??

I see you love Aiden where I love Seth!;)
I have no idea who Kale is, Dhiren, Lucas or Tucker is???

P.s. have you read The Infernal Devices? If you love Jace, you'll be obsessed with his cousin Will.

Also please tell me Annie, you know who Bones, Terrible and Barron's is????!!

Annie Brewer Omg you are so lucky!! I wanna read Pure so bad. Yep we already established we love the opposites on that series.

Okay Kale is from the new series Touch (Denazen series) so effing good! Dhiren is from the Tiger's saga...Lucas is from Unearthly by Cynthia Hand...
And I will be reading TID soon. I love Jace so I know I will love Will.
And no I don't know those guys...whar series are they from? I've heard of Bones though.

MISS VAIN 1.Bones is from Night Huntress series by Jeanniene Frost (you're like the only person that has not read this series! Lol

2. Terrible is from Downside Ghosts series by Stacia Kane

3. Barrons is from Fever series by Karen Marie Moning

Annie Brewer Ahhhh, I see. Well there are plenty of books I have not read yet. I just sent you recs of those I want you to read! :)

Annie Brewer About to do my review on Touch now....

« previous 1 3 4