Toni's Reviews > Ten Thousand Saints

Ten Thousand Saints by Eleanor Henderson

Jan 11, 12

Read in January, 2012

I think I will be gushing about this book for quite some time. It's definitely my new one-size-fits-all book recommendation -- I basically can't conceptualize who out there wouldn't love it. It's a coming-of-age story, many times over, set against the backdrop the late-1980's hardcore punk / straightedge scene, in a long-gone New York. And it just has so much heart, and is so meticulously constructed, and tells such doozy of a story. After I finished it, I went back and reread the New York Times Book Review review, in which Stacey D'Erasmo says this:

The ambition of “Ten Thousand Saints,” Eleanor Henderson’s debut novel about a group of unambitious lost souls, is beautiful. In nearly 400 pages, Henderson does not hold back once: she writes the hell out of every moment, every scene, every perspective, every fleeting impression, every impulse and desire and bit of emotional detritus. She is never ironic or underwhelmed; her preferred mode is fierce, devoted and elegiac.

Yup, pretty much sums it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Thousand Saints.