Carrie Ardoin's Reviews > Illusions

Illusions by Aprilynne Pike

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: posted-on-blog, i-own-this, fae
Read from January 11 to 13, 2012

Now that the threat of Barnes has been eliminated, Laurel is more than happy to get on with her life. She goes back to Avalon to partake in some more Fall Faerie 101, and when she gets back, it's time to start her senior year. Laural is still dating David, and even though she and Tamani got into a huge fight in the previous book, they of course cannot stay away from each other and end up being fast friends once again.

Before school starts, Laurel gets a surprise visit from Klea, who asks her for a favor--Klea wants her to keep an eye on a girl named Yuki, who she thinks might be a "dryad." Laurel and Tamani are suspicious to say the least, but they agree that it's something Laurel should do, if only to keep the mysterious girl close to find out more about her, and possibly the truth about Klea. Laurel still doesn't completely trust her even though Klea saved her life...twice.

Tamani enrolls in school to stay closer to both Laurel and Yuki, and of course this makes David extremely uncomfortable. Tensions rise and things between the two boys eventually come to a head. Laurel remains torn, and has yet to make a choice between the two of them--there's just too much going on for her to have boyfriend issues. Between spying on Yuki, worrying about the SAT's, and stumbling across random trolls who seem to be immune to her magic, she's got a lot on her plate.

As Laurel and Co. draw Yuki into their group, they find out the truth about her. It's something that could have colossal meaning not just for Laurel and Tamani, but for the whole fae kingdom.

I'm not sure if I like this book better than part 2, Spells. I'll just say it was at least as good as Spells. I could tell that David was getting more and more tense around Tamani and that he was starting to irritate Laurel. David was usually such a nice guy but what human man alive wouldn't be threatened by his girlfriend having a gorgeous male protector/former love interest.

I'd have loved it if this book was not a cliffhanger. The main thing I'd want to know about is the significance of Laurel's headaches. I'm also anxious to know just what exactly Klea is. I never got the feeling that she was untrustworthy before, but as a reader, I love when the author can fool me.

I'm glad the love triangle between Laurel, David, and Tamani has finally wound down. It was getting a little tiring, and I felt Laurel was doing a disservice to both guys. Honestly, if I were her, I'm not sure who I'd choose.

I can't wait for the last book of this series, which comes out in May 2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illusions.