Ruth's Reviews > Carrots

Carrots by Colleen Helme

Jan 11, 12

bookshelves: 2012, dnf
Read in January, 2012

I wanted something light and entertaining to read, and took advantage of Kindle's lending library to check this book out. Though the idea is interesting - what would happen if you could suddenly read people's thoughts - the concept is weighed down with poor characterization, stereotypical characters and a horrendous lack of editing. It reads as if someone used spell check and decided that was sufficient editing.

I got about a third of the way through this book before I gave up. I had no idea who the main character was. Her relationships with her family were barely sketched in, and I have no idea what motivates this character. I was also irritated by her anger at her husband over another woman being interested in him even though he did not reciprocate, while she's being swoony over the police officer.

I remember reading a considerable amount of mommy mysteries about a decade ago so it is not as though I object to the genre, but there are much better examples of this particular type available. Light and entertaining doesn't have to mean brainless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrots.