Kin's Reviews > Under the Net

Under the Net by Iris Murdoch

Jan 11, 2012

bookshelves: 1001-to-read, british
Read from January 11 to 15, 2012

I wish goodreads widened its rating scale. My opinion of this book falls somewhere in the area between 'really liked it' and 'it was amazing'. It's a kind of 'really, REALLY liked it'.

I usually enjoy reading a novel's page on goodreads after finishing the book. Seeing my thoughts reflected in other readers' reviews gives me narcissistic pleasure and keeps at bay any urge to write my own. Today, however, I was bitterly disappointed - so many complaints against this marvelous piece! The story is too chaotic, pointless, improbable, the other characters too flat and what's with this senseless philosophy entertained by Hugo and Jake?
I read those comments and could not believe what I saw. Somehow, those people managed to twist every single merit of the novel into vice. "Under the Net" they read is definitely NOT the one I read and liked so much. From my perspective, the narrative is elegant and gliding, with chaotic elements synthesised into a harmonious whole. The fantastic events seem only fitting for a protagonist constantly walking in his head in the clouds and expecting a thrill in every moment of his life. As for the flat characters, they owe their unreal quality to the way Jake denies them any importance or individuality outside of himself and manipulates their images to fit his own liking. This tendency is finally brought to light when we meet Hugo, who, as we realize, is not as Jake portrayed him.
Therefore, I was a little amazed when I read in one of the reviews: the the personality of some of the characters is not consistent throughout the book. For example, in the first few chapters, Hugo seems to be a serious philosopher mouthing profound long lines (...) Then towards the end of the novel, especially in the hospital runaway, this Hugo resurfaced and believe me that he speaks very plainly and almost always in one liner as if he is totally a different character Well, duh. That was the point. I think that most of those people who dissed the novel simply missed its point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Net.

07/11/2016 marked as: read

Krzysztof Gdzie wypożyczyłaś?

message 2: by Kin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kin u nas w bibliotece. Chcesz, to Ci przyniosę

Krzysztof To poproszę ;P

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott Hey I have a question. Is this book explicit? Moreover, does it have sexually explicit scenes? Thanks!

message 5: by Kin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kin No, it isn't, Scott : )