Lane's Reviews > The Black Path

The Black Path by Åsa Larsson

Jan 11, 12

bookshelves: foreign-setting, mystery, scandinavian
Read in January, 2012

I've become a big fan of Asa Larsson. I see no need to compare her to the likes of Karin Fossum, whom I also love to read. She can stand on her own merits.

Personally, I think that Black Path is excellent. I like all of the storylines and am not troubled by the fact that our heroine, Rebeka, isn't always the main focus of the book. I enjoy Anna-Maria Mella and her partner, Sven-Erik, tremendously, and I think that the back and forth of the different plots was skillfully handled and very effective.

Ester is an unusual character and I was a bit thrown by all of the spiritual references, etc. I'm a pretty literal gal and yet I thought that the author did a fine job of making it all come together at the end.

Mauri was bone-chilling. His business-like arrangement of the murder. Fascinating to observe him justify his actions, view his world, analyse his options.

And poor Diddi. A pitiful, weak excuse for a human being, let alone a husband, father, brother. he was no loss, but whew! what a mess he brought to pass at the end. The sad inevitability of it all combined with the uncertainties of Anna-Maria and Sven-Erik's involvement added intensity to the ending of the story. And Ebba and Mauri's escape was brilliant: will they surface again? Or is Ester's vision to come true...
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Path.