Peebee's Reviews > A Year and Six Seconds: A Memoir of Stumbling from Heartbreak to Happiness

A Year and Six Seconds by Isabel Gillies

Jan 11, 2012

liked it
Read from January 11 to February 08, 2012

OK, so Isabel Gillies is incredibly self-absorbed and a drama queen. It's not like I didn't know this from reading her first book. I'm not sure why I put this on my to-read list, because not long after I started, I'm thinking, "oh yeah, I really find her annoying, so why did I want to read about how it all worked out great for her?" That feeling persisted throughout the book.

She acts like she's the first person to have ever suffered heartbreak, or having her husband fall in love with someone else, or having to raise her children as a single mother, or having to start over her life by moving in with her parents after she became an adult. The truth is, she's a working actress who has regularly appeared on shows you've heard of, her parents have a large enough apartment in Manhattan to take her in, and her husband appears to be paying child support and attempting to remain part of her kids' lives. And she fell in love again just a few months after her divorce was final -- without even dating someone else seriously first -- and is now remarried to a great guy. So all in all, her life is not really so bad, at least to anyone but her, because, you see, her life was supposed to be perfect, being smart and beautiful and all. She writes well, and manages to make this story as interesting as it could be, but ultimately, it's not that interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Year and Six Seconds.

04/21/2016 marked as: read