Nicki Markus's Reviews > Kino

Kino by Jurgen Fauth

Mar 16, 12

Read from January 25 to 26, 2012

This book is an interesting quasi-thriller that combines questions on art with high speed car chases.

Mina was a great character, flawed and yet engaging, and I enjoyed following her as she tried to discover the truth about her film-maker grandfather.

The plot moves along at a good pace as we alternate between Mina's adventures and her grandfather's journal. With so many conflicting opinions about Kino, we struggle along with Mina to separate the truth from the fiction.

At times the storyline felt a little 'Hollywood', but I got the impression that was an intentional choice by the author as it tied in with ideas in the story about the nature of art and intellectual property. Unlike a Hollywood movie, though, there is not a completely happy ending and Fauth leaves it to the reader to decide if things have been resolved satisfactorily or not.

This book is an interesting, fairly quick read that both entertains and raises some thought-provoking questions. At times serious, at times quirky, this will appeal to readers who like something a little bit different.

I received this book as a free e-book ARC via NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kino.

01/25/2012 page 57