Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > Night Child

Night Child by Jes Battis

Jul 02, 08

bookshelves: 2008-reads
Recommended for: science geeks looking for a good urban fantasy
Read in July, 2008

Well, it's not very often I feel like an intellectual midget but this book managed to do just that. I'm actually disappointed cause the premise really grabbed my attention - I thought it would be something like a cross between CSI and Moonlight. Instead, I got lost in the "geekspeak".

Tess is a mage. She investigates paranormal crimes with her partner, a telepath. They become caught up in a confusing case involving vampires, demons, and necromancers. Tess also has flashbacks to the death of a childhood friend who died in a fire. Since one of Tess' skills is spark, I think this was supposed to be significant, but I never really got it...other than guilt that a 12 yr old kid couldn't save another 12 yr old kid.

Here are some of the reasons I got lost: arachnoid, Calabi-Yau space, string theory, SIM, spectrograph, beautiful single helix, ekphrasis, thrombocytes, leukocytes, erythrocytes, papillae, Jim Stark, macrophages, hemolysis, autolysis, penumbra, and ouroboros. Some of these words are also used while describing an aborted love scene that occurs after two characters exchange blows. I don't mind scientific terms, but just not quite so many of them! They were impossible to ignore and kept breaking my concentration on the story. Oh well, if you're a CSI, science major, doctor, etc. you will likely not find this as much an issue. Unfortunately, I don't think your average reader can claim intimate knowledge of most of the science speak in this book.

The rest of the story was interesting and complex. The setting in Canada was gritty and well-drawn. My suggestion to the author/editor would be to lose or 'dumb down' much of the science-speak and I'd possibly be willing to try this author again.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Child.

message 1: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz That reminds me of those historicals with excessive Gaelic and Welsh lingo thinking that the average reader knows what's being said without a translation or a footnote. Perfect way to aggravate the reader and turn them off reading another book by the clueless author.

MK (Food actvist) Eastofoz wrote: "That reminds me of those historicals with excessive Gaelic and Welsh lingo thinking that the average reader knows what's being said without a translation or a footnote. Perfect way to aggravate th..."

Well said East. Great review, Julie =D.

Linzi I'm so glad it's not just me :-)