Ashlee's Reviews > The Apothecary's Daughter

The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen

Jan 14, 12

bookshelves: adult
Read from January 13 to 14, 2012

After reading Klassen's The Girl in the Gatehouse, I decided to check out her other books because I enjoyed the first so much. In fact, I think I still need to review that book....

The actual genre description of her novels are "Christian Fiction." For some reason, I tend to stay away from novels labeled this way, because I'm under the impression that they can be too "preachy." Although I've only read the two, I can definitely say that they're not. Klassen's writing style really does remind me of Jane Austen's. The flow of the novel, sentence structures, and even the general underlying plot strikes me as very Austen-esque. And I love it.

The apothecary's daughter, Lilly, is the heroine. The reader follows her thoughts and life=happenings from her fifteen-year-old self until she is (and I'm guessing here) about twenty or twenty-two. I found the background of physicians and apothecaries at this time quite fascinating. However, I do have a few complaints. And they may be a spoiler, so I'll mark it just in case.

(view spoiler) Despite these two complaints, I really enjoyed The Apothecary's Daughter. I also need to get Klassen's other books soon... maybe I should just buy them all. I'm more than fairly certain that I'll love each book more and more as I go along, if the two I've read are any indication.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Apothecary's Daughter.