Will Shetterly's Reviews > Love and Capital: Karl and Jenny Marx and the Birth of a Revolution

Love and Capital by Mary Gabriel

Jan 11, 2012

I understand all the reasons some people didn't like this book. Maybe I would've liked it less if I'd tried to read straight through it in a day or two. I read a chapter every now and then, and I thought it was great. If you're not especially interested in Marx's life, this is probably more than you want. If you want a more dramatic view of the birth of scientific socialism, Tristram Hunt's book about Engels may be better for you, because Engels had the more dramatic life. But for me, this book was perfect. (I recommend the Hunt book highly, and if you want a shorter book about Marx, Francis Wheen's is very good.)

Some reviewers said the book became less interesting after Marx dies. I disagree. His daughters' stories are well worth knowing.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Capital.

Michael Yes, Will, and Eleanor Marx's autobiography, parts one & two, is very worthwhile.

Will Shetterly Are you referring to Yvonne Kapp's biography that was released in two volumes? I hadn't known about it, but I just found a review, and it looks swell.

Michael Yes, Kapp's. Sorry about that. My one true shero is Rosa Luxemburg and I've been working on a paper on her. Rosa on the brain:)

Will Shetterly No worries! I do that all the time.

I should read up on Rosa Luxemburg.