Jessica's Reviews > Princess of the Silver Woods

Princess of the Silver Woods by Jessica Day George

Dec 19, 12

bookshelves: 2012, own
Read on December 13, 2012 — I own a copy

GASP! Look at that pretty cover!!!! And it comes out November 13th! Can't wait :)

Update April 6: Ooh, a Robin Hood twist as well! I adore Robin Hood, so this is bound the be perfect. I'm so excited, but someone please make the cover picture normal size!

Book Review: December 19th: So, I'm finally getting around to writing another book review. I haven't been reviewing too much because of so much school work, hindering from reading a lot.

Backstory:
I'm very, very, very happy that this book FINALLY came out. Princess of the Midnight Ball was probably the first book I found on Goodreads that I wanted to read when I first joined this site a few years ago, and it has become one of my all time favorite books. It's based off my favorite fairy tale (The 12 Dancing Princesses) and I fell in love with the 12 sisters and of course, Galen and Heinrich. The villian was so freakin awesome as well.

Then the sequel came out, Princess of Glass, based on Cinderella. Princess Poppy is probably my favorite narrater out of the three princesses, mainly because she's so funny and has such an unique personality. However, that book is my least favorite of the three. The sisters aren't in the book, neither is Galen, or the Under Stone Palace. All we get is that whiny brat Ella and that weak boring hero Christian.

This book:
Finally, we have come to the end with Princess of the Silver Wood. This book was almost as good as the first. It's based off of Little Red Riding Hood, a fairy tale I've recently gotten hooked onto because of the show Once upon a time. The heroine, Petunina is haunted by the Midnight Balls she went to as a child. In fact all the princesses are. They start having vivid nightmares of thier old dancing partners, who swear they will steal the princesses back to the underground palace.

Dun, Dun, DDDUUUNNN!!!

Petunia, the baby of the family, how I identify with her. Being short and the youngest of a large family is a difficult lot in life to deal with. No one listens to her, she never gets anything new because they are poor, and she doesn't have a lot of jewelry. Plus, she never get's to dance because her family doesn't want her to relive her childhood. The poor dear. And to top off her misfortune, she's been kidnapped by a hot werewolf! Woe is her!!!

Okay, not a werewolf. Just a hot Earl named Oliver. That's a nice name, Oliver. *drools*

I am picking at Petunia a bit up there. She seems to complain a lot during the duration of the book. 'Poor me, this! Poor me, that!' It was quite annoying. She does grow as a person, and somewhat starts to feel sorry for people who actually are poor, but by the time she does we get to the actiony parts of the story and character growth takes a back seat to plot. Overall, Petunia is the weakest of the three princesses who star in these books, but that's okay, becasue Rose and Poppy are actually in this book quite a bit. In fact, I would say the plot almost revolves around a combination of Rose, Galen, Lily, Heinrich, and Oliver more than Petunia.

Oliver, Oliver, Oliver. Hot. Protective. Galen clone. The almost perfect man. I don't really mind he's Galen's clone because Galen is plain awesome and I don't mind that there are two of them.

My only complaint about this book is the end, where there is the final climatic fight between the new King Under Stone and the Princesses and co. during the penultamate chapter. The action was fast and I didn't understand what was going on half the time. However, it could be because in my mind the whole time I was chanting 'Bleep can't die! Bleep better not be dead! BLEEP!!!! *SOBS*' That went on for an entire chapter. I'm not going to say who Bleep is though, I don't want to spoil it. So, I think I really just ruined that last chapter by myself.

I would say that the book is a great, fast read. Not as good as the first one, but in my opinion, it's better than the second. It's more for fans of the Princess series, because it gives us a great conclusion for the characters and we get to see them get a Happily Ever After.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Silver Woods.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elaney I agree that Galen is awesome but I don't think that Oliver was anything like him.