Karen's Reviews > The Secret Lives of Wives: Women Share What It Really Takes to Stay Married

The Secret Lives of Wives by Iris Krasnow

Jan 11, 12

bookshelves: marriage, from-real-life
Read in December, 2011

I thought this book rocked. I was especially happy to find it when I did: at the end of my writing "How to Stay Married in Midlife" and launched the "Sharpen Your Knives" blog (http://sharpenyourknives.wordpress.com/), and not before or during that process. The book includes stories from women who have been married for a long time, and includes their strategies for having been able to stay married. Hint: some are sort of kinky. Iris sprinkles in anecdotes from her own marriage, about which I am not sure how I feel. It might have been okay if she had confined her marriage story to one chapter. Instead, she randomly sort of randomly puts in her two cents where maybe it isn't needed. In some of the stories, the women retain their anonymity, in some they just let it all hang out. You get to hear from women who are in their 70's and (yep) are still married. It's really a quite hopeful, "You can do it!!" sort of a book. Definitely worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Lives of Wives.