Jessika's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

Jul 01, 2008

bookshelves: series, fiction, young-adult, favorites, fantasy, own
Read in December, 2008 , read count: 2

I cried like a little baby. J.K. Rowling really starts taking the series down a darker road in this book. She is so talented at character development, and it really shines in this book. Here, Harry is 15 years old, and for most of the book, he's whiny and self-centered, just like a typical teenager. I also adore Dumbledore's role in this book--his conversation at the end with Harry put me to tears. Rowling did an amazing job with the character of Umbridge...never have I hated a fictional character more than I hated her. I do have to admit, I'm curious to see whether she makes any more appearances or not. For me, this book was stronger for character development than plot. Yes, this is a key book for the series, but I felt like most of the book was spent with characters' internal issues and development rather than the plot. I love how Harry and the crew are dealing with more adult issues now, such as relationships and death. As with all of her books, I have a really difficult time putting these books down, but especially within the last 100 pages, I physically could not separate the book from my hands. Overall, another outstanding addition from J.K. Rowling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Quotes Jessika Liked

J.K. Rowling
“Give her hell from us, Peeves.”

J.K. Rowling
“Wit beyond measure is man’s greatest treasure.”

J.K. Rowling
“Hello, Harry" said George, beaming at him. "We thought we heard your dulcet tones."
"You don't want to bottle up your anger like that, Harry, let it all out," said Fred, also beaming. "There might be a couple of people fifty miles away who didn't hear you.”

10/07/2008 page 525
58.59% "LOVE this book...wish I could read more of it...but what with school work, this one's been put on hold :/"
11/11/2008 page 525
58.59% "On hold until the semester's over :)"
11/29/2008 page 0
0.0% "Starting this one over in about two weeks when classes are done :)"
12/14/2008 page 20
2.23% "Yay! I've jumped back into this one :)"
12/15/2008 page 179
19.98% "Completely engrossed in the story once again--it's amazing how these books can take over your life! :)"
12/27/2008 page 807
90.07% "3 I'm crying." 4 comments
02/03/2016 marked as: read
show 24 hidden updates…

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) freakin schoolwork. I hate that.. I have all these books I want to be reading right now..and I can't because of all my work!..and I know if I start reading..i won't stop!

Fiona I love the feeling when you can't physically separate the book from your hands. I remember reading The order for the first time - just getting it after 3 years of waiting and receiving it. I stared at it for a god five minutes before opening and reading.

This one is my favourite out of all the Harry Potter's - even though it made me cry. Although, now that I've read it at least ten more times, it's the part with Neville's parents that makes me cry the worst - because that is worse then death. JKR has never made death out to be a bad thing - only what we do to others during life.

Jessika The part with Neville's parents definitely broke my heart--you're right about JKR never making death out to be the worst thing. I love how Dumbledore points out that it is one of the weaknesses in Voldemort's way of thinking.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

You are so right. Once we hit the 5th book. Harry potter takes a darker toll. Concerning more of Voldermort.

Caroline sirius' mirror is when i lost it the first time i read it. i agree about the strength of the characters, and how unbelievably well she defines them mentally and emotionally. that is why this one is my favorite!

Ellie I definitely agree with your review.

Umbridge was a hag, wasn't she?

Susan Don't tell me what happens! Everyone says I'm supposed to have already read this because I'm a HUGE reader, but I'm just now reading them, and I have resolved to read the book, then see the movie, and that tales A LOT of resolve seeing as the movie was on TV this last Sunday and I REALLY wanted to see it.

Susan Oh, and Umbridge is a hag. present tense, as I'm still reading it.

message 9: by Ifeoma (new) - added it

Ifeoma I missed classes (and food) the day I first read it! I remember, it was 2009 and the Order of Phoenix held me spellbound on my bed. I did not like though that Dumbledore had to die on a trip that yielded nothing. I mean Sirius Black already did the job, that was really upsetting for me because I'm all for let the good people always win. Still, it takes nothing away from the book!

message 10: by Ifeoma (new) - added it

message 11: by Lachlan (new)

Lachlan Miss you guys and did you read about roald Dahl.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Small but all of you admit it you wanted Umbridge killed more than Voldemort

message 13: by breanna (new) - added it

breanna Good

Jason I agree, for the most part. I've never cried from reading a book. But I also like to see Neville get some props in this book.

Joshua Murray Hello Jess! I am an avid Harry Potter fan to! My mom used to read the books to me and my sister late at night. I'd have nightmares, but I'd keep coming back. :)
Since you like Harry Potter, I'm pretty certain you'll like my book. I can give you a free ebook code if you like. All I ask in exchange is an unbiased review. Let me know if you're interested. You can email me at trin_yahweh@yahoo.com

Ella Gisclair The book had so many twists and turns, I was a pretzel before I finished! Yet, I loved my pretzel look/ and I loved the book!

message 17: by Adia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adia Twitchell i agree with u about umbrig.i wanted to punch her once she started making harry write on himself and give up quidich...did i spell that write?if i did...tell me...okay?

Kennedy Paige Campbell The thing is when I'm reading one book I am astonishing I could read about the Battle of Hogwarts

rishi jalukar This book is the worst harry potter book ever!!!!

Katie How do you take exactly what I am thinking and then say it better? Great review!

Adrian Aisemberg It did take a long time to get to Hogwarts but it was amazing just like the other books!

Maheen Waqar I was heart broken when Sirius died! He was the only family that Harry had that actually cared about him! I think I shed a tear during this moment. And Umbridge... Couldn't stand her

Maheen Waqar Sorry my comment repeated