Jess Michaelangelo's Reviews > The Silver Chair

The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

Oct 07, 08

bookshelves: children-s-books, fiction, series, favorites, fantasy, library
Read in July, 2008, read count: 1

Once again...I loved it. C.S. Lewis has seriously created such a wonderful series of books. This one is another perfect "escape" book. As cliché as it sounds, I absolutely adore it when I can pick up a book, begin reading and forget about the world I'm in. I loved this book because of the adventure and the quest that these children were sent on. The versatility of these books (and this one, in particular) is amazing--it can be read as a simple fantasy story but also as a metaphor for Christianity. Puddleglum was my favorite character out of this book. I will admit that at first, I found his constant pessimism about everything slightly annoying, but after a while, I began to appreciate it for its endearing quality. For some reason, I also found Jill's character to be slightly annoying. I'm not entirely sure why, but she just seemed very whiny to me, even from the beginning. As I said before, I loved this book for it's Christian metaphors...Aslan as a Jesus-figure...the temptations of Satan...how everyone in Underworld was sad and miserable...even the Heaven scene at the very end was amazing. Overall, I have to say that this is one of my favorite Narnia books, for sure.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Chair.