Mick's Reviews > Wolves of the Calla

Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King

U 50x66
Jan 11, 12

Read in January, 2012

Wolves of the Calla picks up at a much quicker pace then probably any of the other books in the Dark Tower series so far. SK drew heavy inspiration from Kurosawa's Seven Samarai and the American remake, Magnificent Seven. So in many ways, this tale takes on a common story the Western genre, but SK also puts his own horror slant to it, keeping it fresh. While this is the longest book in the series so far, it doesn't feel like it drags as much as some of the others. SK has created a heightened sense of urgency in the 5th volume. The characters take on a little more depth as the author spends time with them. One issue I had with Waste Lands (#3) was that Susannah, Eddie, Jake, and Oy just didn't feel that real to me, but I actually have started caring more about the characters other than Roland at this point.

One of the cool things SK is doing is he is tying in more of his other stories and characters into the Dark Tower series. In the last volume, we got a peak of another world that was very similar to the one in The Stand, and now Father Callahan re-enters from Salem's Lot. I do like the way he is tying these various stories together. Books 4 & 5 are when we realize it isn't just 2 worlds or time periods of the same world (Roland + his ka-tet), it's a myriad of worlds, probably infinite. While opening this up does create the possibility of more confusion for the reader, I am very interested to see the author will tie it all together.

Overall, this was book is probably the most fun to read so far in the series. I'd say maybe only #1 Gunslinger is better. Can't wait to read the last 2 volumes.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolves of the Calla.