Melki's Reviews > Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Jan 11, 12

bookshelves: humorous-essays, memoir, as-seen-on-tv
Read in January, 2012

Except for the parts about being a talented, wealthy television writer and performer, Tina Fey basically STOLE MY LIFE! Our early years were SO similar, I found myself wincing instead of laughing as Fey recounted her childhood and awkward adolescence. Yeah, that was me - virtually invisible to boys, trying to be liked, always falling for guys who turned out to be gay... Interestingly enough, we both received disfiguring scars during our kindergarten years. True, Fey's is on her face, and mine, well...let's just say my career as a hand model was over before it even began.

That's pretty much where the similarities end. Fey goes on to describe her improv work at Second City, the SNL years, 30 Rock, and the unexpected popularity of her Sarah Palin impression. She also candidly discusses motherhood and offers some beauty tips - (Psst! Become famous and have professional make-up artists do everything for you.)

I didn't find anything terribly funny here, though it was an interesting read if you're curious about what goes on behind the scenes at a television show. Fey seems much more comfortable writing for others than writing about herself.

I will however, always be indebted to her for providing me with a new name for those pockets of fat at the tops of my thighs - the ones that no amount of exercise will banish. I had been calling them "Leopold and Loeb", but Fey's term - "crotch biscuits" - is much more palatable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bossypants.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

stephanie CROTCH BISCUITS

Melki They're gluten-free!

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim LOL!

message 4: by Petra X (new)

Petra X Muffin tops and crotch biscuits. Did she have a foody name for bingo wings?

Melki I had to Google that one. PERFECT name for those things.