Marie's Reviews > Breaking Beautiful

Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf

Aug 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012-releases, stand-alone, young-adult, netgalley-arc, contemporary, favorites
Read from May 26 to 31, 2012

Breaking Beautiful was a lot darker than I expected. Allie just survived a horrible car accident that killed her boyfriend Trip, waking up and not remembering anything from that night.

The plot to Breaking Beautiful was for the most part, fast paced. Once it started to slow down, another clue or memory would present itself picking the pace back up. It's unfortunate that Allie lives in a town that small, like wow. I don't know how anyone could survive living in a town that small. I wasn't expecting this book to be based on an abusive relationship and while we only see flashbacks of it, it's enough to feel the anxiety and fear that Allie feels. I think the author did a fantastic job of portraying how scary being in an abusive relationship can be even long after they're gone.

I liked Allie, she was badly hurt and broken but when she snapped oh man, you go girl. I wish she would had ripped Hannah's hair out or something though, cause we all know she deserved it. I loved Blake and it sucks that people didn't give him a chance or hear him out. But that's just high school I guess. But he was a really sweet guy who you could tell really cared about Allie and Allie's special needs brother Andrew. I also loved the bond between Allie and her brother Andrew, it's a bond you don't see much in YA and it was nice to see. Andrew loves his sister dearly, and you could feel the frustration bubbling up inside of him sometimes. But he's a really sweet kid. I wasn't a fan of Hannah who knew nothing of what she was talking about or Allie's mom who was so fixated on her reputation and everyone else's. Instead of comforting her daughter all she cared about was how she looked or what she wore. I most definitely was not a fan of Trip's father who really needs a swift hit on the head with a metal bat. He reminded me a lot of Dan Scott from One Tree Hill in the earlier episodes. Disgusting!!

While Breaking Beautiful was a dark story of a girl trying to remember and rebuild herself, it's also a beautiful story of a girl and her bond with her brother and a boy who will stop at nothing to make sure she's okay. Full of suspense and drama and mystery, Breaking Beautiful is a fantastic debut from Jennifer Shaw Wolf!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Beautiful.