Cassie (Happy Book Lovers)'s Reviews > Fracture

Fracture by Megan Miranda

Jan 11, 12

Read in January, 2012

Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine

-despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?

I was very excited to hear that I would be reviewing this for the blog tour today in anticipation for the release of this book, and I started reading it as soon as I got it. Despite many mixed reviews, I give Fracture a huge thumbs-up. It's hard to get me hooked on a book from the beginning, but this book managed to do just that. It was so fast-paced from the first page that it literally grabs the reader and pulls him into the story, instead of gradually easing. I loved the simplicity of their lives before Delaney got stuck in the lake: they were average high school teens. Nothing super crazy, which was a nice change from some of my recent YA reads.

I had a hard time with Delaney's male interests though. I think the plot would have been more interesting had all three males been riveting and wonderful men. However, I only really liked one. In fact, I hated the other two, which didn't make it difficult or fun for me as a reader in that aspect. However, I did like the introduction of Troy and the slight supernatural "gift" he and Delaney shared. This turned the story in a completely different direction than I was expecting. However, I still didn't think he was a likeable character at all. I was particularly bothered by his introduction to Delaney at the beginning of the book — he stalked her and stared at her until she asked him his name. I just thought this was a bit unnecessary. And the other male interest should have just not been there. But I see the reason after the end of the book.

Decker is Delaney's best friend, who, coincidentally, I loved. It was interesting seeing both his and Delaney's thoughts and feelings of guilt. Decker pulled her out of the lake, but not until 11 minutes had passed. In his defense, he was held back by friends, but he still felt guilty for not saving her sooner. I really loved the parallels between their stories and their different sides. There were a few characters I didn't really understand why they were even there (Tara, e.g.), but that was a minor thing I got past pretty quickly.

The writing was very good, for the most part. It was simple, yet got the story moving and flowing well. The writing seemed to improve as the story went on, becoming more descriptive and metaphorical, which really worked with the story line in a good way. This was a very worthwhile read for me, and though I didn't like a few things about it, it was good overall and I can't wait to see what Megan Miranda has in store next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fracture.