Terri Pray's Reviews > The Flower Reader

The Flower Reader by Elizabeth Loupas

Apr 07, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, historical
Read from April 06 to 07, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

The Flower Reader, by Elizabeth Loupas was a First Reads giveaway from Goodreads. Thank you.

I went into this story uncertain if I would enjoy it or not. First person novels tend to be hit and miss with me, even those in genres I love. However, I found myself rapidly pulled back in time to Scotland and the turmoil of Mary Queen of Scotland during the earlier days of her reign.

Rinette Leslie is entrusted with a silver casket by the dying Mary du Guise, the Regent of Scotland, and she promises that she will place it in no other hands than those of the young Queen Mary. Before she does so she weds, though barely due to outside forces, Alexander whom she has loved for years. Her happiness is short lived when her husband is murdered and she barely survives the birth of their daughter.

Wracked with grief she agrees to turn over the casket only if she is never forced to marry someone against her will and the one responsible for her husband's murder is brought to justice. But by doing so she binds herself to a life at the Scottish court, under the watchful gaze of Queen Mary. Lost and alone, with a gift that allows her to see the future and perhaps a little of the past, through flowers - a gift that also lets her see who a person really is by seeing them with the flower that best represents who they are - Rinette finds herself in the center of a political and personal turmoil. For the box represents power, holding within it both prophecies and secrets.

Secrets men and women will kill for.

This beautifully written Tudor period story that mixes romance, sorrow, politics, religious upheaval, greed and turmoil, with a delicious twist of magic and the Green Lady with a woman defending her home and children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flower Reader.

04/06/2012 page 68