Pilar's Reviews > The Crossing

bookshelves: waterbrook-multnomah-book-review
Recommended to Pilar by: Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from January 11 to 17, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

The Crossing by Serita Jakes is an intriguing and captivating story from the minute you start reading it. I happen to love novels which are fast paced. This book does not disappoint.

However, it isn't a light hearted book. The premise is about teacher and cheer leading coach by the name of B.J. Remington who was shot and murdered on a bus after a football game. Unfortunately, the murder wasn't solved. So her close friend's husband (an ADA) decided to reopen the case after a decade to bring closure for his wife Cynthia (B.J.'s student and close friend). Cynthia witnessed the murder that fateful night and thus suffered from PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) as a result. The twists and turns of this murder investigation and all the relationships involved was suspenseful to say the least. The book also addressed another important topic; domestic violence.

I have to admit that this book surprised me. I really didn't think I would like it as much as I did. I literally couldn't put the book down because I wanted to know what would happen next. However, reading this book left me somber and thinking deeply about things. I happened to relate and identify with things that happened to some of the characters in this book. So, it brought up a lot of "stuff" for me to sort through, process and come to terms with in my own life. Yes, this book is written as fiction, however, I believe it's based on real life scenarios which can't be ignored and swept under a rug, but addressed for what they really are. This story doesn't have a happy ending, which is true to life as well.

I highly recommend this riveting and thought provoking book. I commend First Lady Serita Jakes for her courage in writing such a creative, relevant and poignant novel.

In conclusion, I want to thank Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers for sending me this complimentary book and for the opportunity to review it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crossing.