Kathy's Reviews > The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

Feb 09, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended to Kathy by: Cindy
Read from January 11 to February 07, 2012

I enjoyed reading this book about the Chicago World's Fair of 1893 and the parallel story (every other chapter) of the mass murderer H.H. Holmes who was doing horrific things just a short distance from the fair site.

As I was reading this book I realized that nothing much changes in society, 1893 and 2012 are very similar. Big advances in science and technology were happening in the late 1800s as are the big advances we see today; the economy was struggling in 1893 with high unemployment, new construction nearly coming to a standstill and banks failing; and there were deranaged and mentally ill people committing assainations and murder. Sounds like today...January 7, 2012.

After rereading what I just wrote this book sounds like a downer but this book is really an enjoyable, interesing read. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys history and/or true crime stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in the White City.

01/13/2012 page 49
01/13/2012 page 49
11.0% "This book has a lot in common with the last two books I read: Perfume and The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Oooh! I've heard so many good things about this book. Plus it's fun that you've been to where this takes place.

Kathy I thought you already read this book, it is one you gave me. What's funny is that I thought is was another Scandinavian crime story, but it is a 19th century Chicago crime story.