Brit Mandelo's Reviews > Double Dexter

Double Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Jan 11, 2012

did not like it

Normally, I find these books to be fun, fast, reads - a bit goofy, but entertaining.

So, where the hell did all of this misogyny come from? Was I reading with half of my brain for the past several books? The answer must be yes. At least, before, I found Astor and Deb to both be well developed and interesting women. This book has Astor transformed into a stereotypical flighty, bitchy teenage girl (there's a memorable scene of her turning into her mother as they try to pack for a trip and throw identical hissy-fits about having "nothing to wear"), Deb is "softened" by having had a baby (it says that! it actually says it!) and doesn't spend much time onscreen anyhow, and then there's Rita.

I know she's supposed to be an idiot. I know that. But this book spent half of its pages on making her out to be a stereotype jealous wife and irresponsible mother - and would you like to know how we know this is true as readers?

Well, mainly, because she starts bringing home her work as an accountant and working through dinner - which means she doesn't cook. Yes, readers. Her failure to cook dinner because she has to do her job - mind, Dexter is working late at his and doesn't seem to think he should ever cook - is construed as her failure as a mother and wife. She isn't cooking, so she isn't worth a damn.

Excuse me, what?

There's plenty of other really uncomfortable stuff, like the constant use of the adjective "whorish" to describe the justice system that Dexter doesn't care for, or the fact that women never seem to speak full sentences in this book, or sentences that make sense - seriously, read Camilla or Rita's dialogue, or try to. The plot was serviceable and I enjoyed Dexter's interaction with his brother, but I would like to throw the rest of it at the wall.

It's one thing when a character is a misogynist, which I could totally believe of Dexter, but it's entirely another when I can't find any evidence that the writer thinks this is a bad thing. In fact, this book seems a little John Ringo-esque. Thumbs very down.
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Double Dexter.

Stephen I don't think Rita's lack of dinner prep is meant to paint her as a poor mother but rather to illustrate how small changes in Dexter's routine throw him off of his game.

Alicia I absolutely could not STAND Rita in this book - moreso than the others. She has completely devolved into a blithering, blathering, scatterbrained, jealous wife. Uggh blech.

Zanny I think Astor's teenage bitchiness is true too her character -she always had that edge to her -and as an ex-teenage girl I know that everything feels more dramatic at that age. Rita was def more annoying this book but Dexter did point out how smart she was at work which doesn't neccessarially negate anything, but it does add a little bit of demension to her character... just a little